SFA is it all crap?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Obinick, Jul 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm starting basic training soon and my wife is now worried about the Army housing.

We spoke to the recruiting office when I first started the application process and was told the houses or apartments were basic but well maintained and clean, but after reading the posts on here it seems that they are all run down shit covered holes.

Does anyone have anything nice to say about SFA?
  2. Well, I think their decision to tell their players that if they played for Team GB they would be undermining the Scottish squad and then complaining that no Scots were picked for GB was bloody stupid...

And as doe the Rangers situation....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Depends where you go basically. Different places have differing types / standards of housing dependant on availibility. Not all are shit-holes and tbh, every one I have had have been good. Don't be expecting a mansion as a private though although we all know the allocation of housing is in no way dependant on rank.You can also turn the SFA down and hire privately if it isn't up to your standard, remember.
  4. Obinick, As with everything in the Army and life in general, there are good points and bad points. You generally only hear of the bad points. It is true that there are some shit holes, but the maintenance is getting better, and the house should be clean. To reassure your missus, have a drive round some Garrison if you are close by. Better still, if you know where you may get posted to, have a look. One word of advice. When you take over your first quarter, see if you can get an "experienced" pad to go with you to ensure you don't get shafted with the worst quarter on the estate that they have been trying to palm off to some unsuspecting newbie for months.
  5. I've just moved in to a newly renovated quarter which is light and spacious! I love it. And that's the first time I've ever said that! The house we just moved from was an absolute dump so it's a bit of a postcode lottery. Once all your stuff is in and your pictures are up, however, they're fine. I've always managed to make wherever we lived 'homely'. And for the rent you pay (peanuts) you can't really complain too much. Your house should be clean and well-maintained when you move in and then it's up to you to keep it clean and report any faults or work that need doing as you go.
  6. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I have a 4 bedroom, 3 storey town house on a nice quiet estate, apart from the pikey twats over the road with the kids from hell.

Commercial rent on the place would be £1100.00. I pay £130.00.

Chuffed to nuts me is!
  7. No-one is forced to stay in SFA.
  8. Thanks people, you know how it is you read the bad reports and think the worse.
  9. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Apart from the girl in my cellar.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. You've still got her?
  11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Yep! Starting to smell a tad now.
  12. iam not too sure if i found the right thread but here it goes...

iam taking over my very first sfa over on august 1st theres some rumours flying around saying iam entitled to disturbance allowance which is round about 1000 pounds i believe but others say iam only entitled to the 100 pounds i would normally get as a single does anyone know anymore on this ?????

and my clerks are not in as 1 is currently on her AAPTI and the other just decided to whack in 2 weeks leave
  13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

You don't get full disturbance allowance on your first move.
  14. so does that just mean same rate as me moving from single accom to single accom ?
  15. This is my 12th MQ and even though some haven't been gleaming as B&T says for the £125 a month I pay you can't complain with what i would be paying if it was private renting. If possible I have tried to attend or get another PAD to go along when young lads I have had in my sections in the past who were taking over their first MQ , this way they can give you a bit of backing and show you what to look for but thats up to your CofC. As B&T rightfully said disturbance can't be claimed on first move or last move ...barstewards...its when most people need it.