SFA - 1960s chic?!

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by WindyDog, Nov 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

After receiving an offer of SFA my wife and I visited the property today to have a peer through the windows- as you do!!

The house location is fine, some distance from where I will be working and no local amenities but these are fairly surmountable issues, particularly because it is relatively local to friends and family. The main issue identfied is that the house is circa 1960/70s and I think the fireplace and plug sockets may be original!! (google image 'ugly gas fire' and it is the second one that comes up!!) and the plugs don't have on/off switches on the faceplates.

I have had a look through JSP 464 but can't seem to find anything about serviceable but ancient items, does anyone know where we might stand on getting them replaced??

Many thanks
  2. Find a way to damage it beyond repair, ensuring that it looks like accidental damage - they'll then replace it with a nice modern 1980's model.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Absolutely.

In the current financial climate, the modern serviceman has every right to replace functional items with something a wee bit more to modern taste at full taxpayers expense....
  4. Gassing Badgers, I see your point and if one were asking for trendy or high spec fixtures then I would agree. I am only requesting that the fixtures that are rented are fit for purpose and reasonably efficient which is a concern due to their age.
  5. I would think a quick H & S question would result in an answer,

Is it 2011 H&S safe? if it is then you have to decide.
  6. The only way to tell if the electrical system is fit for purpose is to have it checked by a suitably qualified and experienced person, the age of the fittings may give you some cause to wonder at the state of the system, but is not necessarily indicative of unseen problems.
  7. How do you define 'fit for purpose'?

You already mentioned they were serviceable, so the question comes down to whether they are judged safe by modern standards - which they should be according to JSP315. Worth looking through 315, as it gives more detail on the standard required of SFA:
    [ARCHIVED CONTENT] Defence Estates - Delivering Estate Solutions to Defence Needs
  8. Upon Takeover/march in you'll be issued with copies of latest electrical and gas checklist.

Good luck!
  9. GB - Thankyou for the link. Most helpful and informative in relation to what one could "reasonably expect" for the rent one is paying.

A couple of observations (about what we should possibly expect against what is witnessed).

The overall design of all quarters should aim to provide a pleasing, comfortable, yet practical and economic internal and external environment. At the same time due note should be taken of the frequency of change of occupant, and of the need for finishes which are robust and of a quality and type requiring minimum maintenance.

(Type IV) Sitting Room: Focal point electric or gas fire.
    This is what is provided, exactly:

Should we classify this as a reasonable focal point? Perhaps a slap in the face insult that you can't avoid (and mute point for discussion/disappointment for their daughter when the in-laws visit).
  10. To be frank, you have a choice; you can live in a highly subsidised functional property, or, rent privately, or buy locally. Just in case you haven’t noticed the country is just about skint. Not picking holes, just telling it like it is.
  11. Fair point, I have no desire to unfairly demand from the government and do not see this as a cost issue but more of a rip-off of the MOD by a private company who are obliged to meet a standard and are selling us short.

However, my understanding, and please chirp up if you dispute my figures.....

A considerable number of SFA homes are now owned by a private (and profitable) company. The purchase price for these homes was considerably below the market price. I believe circa £10k was paid for all houses inc the surplus mansions that were sunsequently sold off at full market rates. I know of 3 quarters that sold for in excess of £600k just in my last road. :eye:

Being in the military we are entitled (for a number of reasons, not least having no choice where/when we are sent to) to rent at below market rate. A rough comparison of the civvy rental market:

Civvy rental:

House purchase by landlord: £200k
    House rental by tenant: c £800/month

Military rental:

House purchase by landlord (private company): c. £10k
    House rental by tenant: c. £400/month

At no stage should there be any subsidy/taxpayer intervention to ensure we live artificially better. If this was the case, I would agree with all who say we should be cutting our cloth to suit in these times.
  12. Perhaps a small note should be made about my apparent lack of consideration to the public purse.

As a result of this country being skint, I am out of a job next year. After 15 years and 2 months service, no pension, no redundancy, no pay off. Just good memories, a sun tan and a positive mental outlook with a well trained mind.

I would just wish to spend my remaining months in a home that both my pregnant wife and I can live safely and cheaply in, in a standard that a private company is mandated to provide.
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

There was an electric fire like that in my quarter. It works, but I took it out and found a perfectly serviceable chimney behind it. I am now burning logs from the woods down the road and will refit the electrics a month before march-out.

This is not a recommendation, by the way.