SF cuts?

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by spaz, Aug 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't see this anywhere else. DSF is allegedly cutting around 40 guys on continuance and binning either 21 or 23.

SAS lose veterans and TA regiment - Telegraph

I can understand binning some of the guys on continuance if an unsustainable amount of guys are going down that route but do the TA SF not provide value for money, or has their contribution to ops been negligible/overpriced?

2. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

SFSG i would imagine have taken over alot of the TA SF tasks.

3. msr

msr LE

4. What price R squadron now?

5. Continuance is generally only granted when there is a job to do that requires a certain level of expertise that is otherwise difficult to replace.

Binning the guys on continuance will therefore leave an operational capability gap.... due to the nature of the employment this bean counting measure will surely put lives at risk.

Nice to see the military covenant being upheld by the condems.... lying cnuts!

6. If it hadn't been for the stuff rocky-side this would have happened a while ago. Since the fall of the Berlin Wall and the demise of the Corps Patrol Unit role 21 and 23 have to an extent been a solution looking for a problem.

As said above, some of their capability is now delivered by SFSG, while other aspects are and have for a long time been well within the capacity of the Marines' BRF and the equivalent in the Para Reg, to name but two.

Add the recruitment/retention issues of 21 and 23 (I doubt any sqn has been up to establishment for 15+ years at the very least) and it's been coming down the track for a while - with 23 being the more obvious candidate. My one guess is that 21 may add/relocate a sqn/troop to location in the S Midlands perhaps.

7. It seems a criminal waste to bin what are without a doubt exceptional blokes even if because of time constraints more than anything they will never be proper SF, given how hard they have been to train and recruit shouldn't they be retained in a recce role, what about TA SFSG or pathfinders or a recce unit that supplies IRs to the BRF, I know TA that have served in the BRF and were well thought of at the end of thier tour. So it's not like it can't be done.

What the tories are doing to defence is wrong and short sighted and will come back and bite them on the arse, it was one of the few areas of public spending that actually went down under Labour, and has been underfunded for years.

8. Didn't the government say that due to cuts we will be moving towards a small more highly deployable strike force and that special forces would be playing an even more integral role? How does cutting special forces possibly fit in with that?

I can just about understand the cutting of tanks, artillery etc. But this I simply can't understand.

9. Defence cuts are not about economics... it is all about EU integration, it is about being absorbed into the superstate, the Condems have a hard on for the EU every bit as much as Liarbour... otherwise they would have held the promised referendum.

Its all part of the dismantling of the nation state.

10. The TA SF are phenomenal people, and I have a huge amount of respect to anyone that attempts selection (either Reg or TA). However, we have to be honest and ask how much value can an SF TA unit contribute to current ops. It made sense during the cold war, when we had a clearly defined role, but in this environment, where keeping up to date is essentially a full time job in itself, the sort of people that could commit to doing TA SF may as well be in full time anyway.

We also have the problem of mobilisation - to keep skills current you have to deploy, but current mobilisation legislation is extremely restrictive, so we're limited in how often the unit can be employed, unless someone volunteers to go again. Given this, and the lack of a clearly defined role since the end of the cold war, and also the fact that SFSG can provide similar capabilities, this decision seems long overdue.

11. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I would be very interested to see what the plan is for the guys going through the selection pipeline now. I am pretty sure that the value any badged bloke could offer would be substantial, even if the role is hazy. BRF springs to mind as a decent role.

12. Why not have a troop/squadron at Divisional level for recce type work? They could be part of the FR Regiments if necessary.

Alternatively, integrate them into 22 SAS Regiment as a couple of reserve squadrons (gets rid of the expensive layers).

13. That's what the SBSR do with thier reservists, they train alongside thier regular comrades and they don't seem to have any problems, from what I know it's run the same as the RMR where they just stick thier hand up and say they want to do some time in without the seperation which breeds resentment, no MTD limits or any of that bollocks.

To answer BBears question, if you follow form they will probably have courses cancelled and told not to turn up for a while, thanks for your service and for going on ops, now **** off and pop your head into the TAC in 6 months and see if we still have a unit.

14. What referendum was this? It was already stated that a referendum cannot be held because we already signed up under Labour.