• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

SF Amalgamations?

I doubtany amalgamation will take palce, me thinks, until there is a joint unit. They stil both have their respective roles to play.

Why were the sbs deployed in the desert anyway .I thought their area of
expertise was water borne &beach head type stuff. or did someone see
special on the label and send them anyway .

I suspect that story is in the main, b0llocks. Smacks to me of some gobby senior shooting his mouth off to an excitable journo. It wouldn't surprise me if the 'source' was cut from the same cloth as that lunatic phoney who wrote 'Jihad'...about his adventures pinching Mi-24 parts from Afghanistan during the soviet occupation.

E

error_unknown

GROWNUPS_BEWARE said:
I suspect that story is in the main, b0llocks. Smacks to me of some gobby senior shooting his mouth off to an excitable journo. It wouldn't surprise me if the 'source' was cut from the same cloth as that lunatic phoney who wrote 'Jihad'...about his adventures pinching Mi-24 parts from Afghanistan during the soviet occupation.
The bloke who wrote Jihad did spend a couple of years pinching MI-24 parts in Afghanistan, what he was lying about was his previous membership, or lack of it, in the SAS. As I recall, he'd spent a couple of years at Hereford in 'Goon Troop' before getting the elbow. If you cut all the SAS crap, I thought it was a pretty good story. A friend of mine in DIS was trying to get hold of him a couple of years back because he had spent time in the bits of Pakistan/Afghanistan where Osama is supposedly hiding out.

Well when I read the story it did strike me that bragging to journos about how much better you are than the SBS and how much they need your help is rather more unprofessional than a SF unit not being the best at missions it wasn't designed to undertake in the first place.

E

error_unknown

so you brit sf, they like delta force and navy seals? we got an advantage over here cos we got the militia movement as kind of a nursery for sf guys. we got kids who fired a whole loada weapons afore theyre outta diapers!!
how do you brits manage without such a goood hunters and woodsmen to train for SPECIAL SHIT??

um........I believe FFS......that we hone our skills rescuing US CIA officers from inside a US Prison from CAPTURED TALIBAN Prisoners..........and then.....we dont sing songs about it..........and generally we treat it as an extension of the trade........not a sycophantic cry of 'My god the Snake Eaters are here'. And other than that we over here...........formalised the idea of SF.and put it into practice. I believe in fact that it was Brit SF that actually trained your initial groups....after our expert tuition you took it to go off and feck up.

Chuck Norris is ugly............and hes a gwa....(which aint too bad....I suppose) but Chuck Norris cant act.......and unfortunately for Chuck...his weapon handling skills are shite 8O

E

error_unknown

but as i was askin, dont you need some good supply of hunters and boys who re good in the woods for s.f.? i just dont see you gettin that in england or europe?

Thats very kind of you but we have enough illegal immigrants to cope with at the moment..........without wishing to be rude can I suggest Canada.that is yet another member state of the British Commonwealth. You can go to Quebec' Canada: where for some reason they think themselves French ......and indeed even speak it after a fashion (they were of course defeated in 1704 by General Wolfe)

E

error_unknown

:lol: :lol: :lol: hey man!! i ent vlounteerin!! asides, it s a little difficult for me to leave Usa right now, i got to see my damn PO every week :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now see if you were indeed a gentleman a note and your word of honour would suffice :D As a bad boy..........you have to stay there and steam..............is your girlfriend......still your 'Girlfriend' 8O :oops: :? :wink:

chickenpunk said:
...what he was lying about was his previous membership, or lack of it, in the SAS. As I recall, he'd spent a couple of years at Hereford in 'Goon Troop' before getting the elbow. If you cut all the SAS crap, I thought it was a pretty good story...
If you're in the military or ex then you're pretty much expected to give Les Blades du Hereford a bit of a name-drop.

Example. New thrilling best seller - a shocking expose of life in the Hereford Gun Club's most exclusive clique...264 stores/the Cookhouse/RHQ post room/the LAD (delete as necessary).

"Oi Kevin", said G Sqn's clerk, a grizzled UNICOM veteran who had filed correspondence under fire from many Sqn Commanders, "I need a number 1 priority on Banner paper and some whiteboard markers". And with that, interference cut us off and I panicked at the thought of his boss Major Johnny Biceps screaming for a blue drywipe marker while deflecting a barrage of offensive incoming priority signals. RHQ became a bewildering hive of worker ants as Colonel "Skitz" McMurdo authorised a local purchase order for the stationery items - that sacrifice was later to deny him the OBE. Legend had it that his boss, the Director, Brigadier Rupert Bond III, gave him a rifting for being too much of a maverick. "Oi sunshine...you're too much of a maverick" he said with his home counties twang.

See! That would be a best seller - all you need is a picture of some clerk with his sandy beret, eyes blacked out and some wierd hybrid of the AGC badge with the winged dagger. How about a fountain pen with the wings on the side. Brilliant.

On the plus side, it would probably be better than that boring pish "The Rigger" about some scaley over the water in NI with the Det.

PD

I believe A Fortunate Son is wondering at how Britain can produce Special Forces soldiers because of the absence of a tradition of private gun ownership comparable to that of the United States. The answer is quite straightforward - martial tradition.

The United States is still a relatively young nation - those component parts of the UK are not. There is a lot to be said for the old adage that 'quality begets quality'. It is a fact that there are people serving in the Armed Forces today whose families have served the Crown for centuries. Furthermore, the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh tradition of service to foreign powers should also be borne in mind. For example, the Irish Brigades in the service of France and Spain in the period c.1580 - 1800, and the long standing Scots mercenary tradition (Dutch and Scandinavian service). This martial tradition means, quite simply, that people who come from these islands are naturally good soldiers. It has also been possible to continue this tradition due to the still relatively homogenous nature of British society.

A familiarity with firearms is only useful up to a point, but without a solid base of tradition and training, it counts for very little. For instance, armed gangs in the USA and around the world are gun users but I doubt if many would class them as material for soldiering. Anyone can use a gun and kill, be it shooting at paper targets on a gun farm or settling accounts with the local boyz in the 'hood, but that does not mean said people are qualified to serve as soldiers and fight. Killing is easy, it's fighting that is the real test of character. Take for example Italy and the Arab world. Macho culture and throwing shapes with firearms is long-standing in both, but quite honestly they are generally speaking not particularly good at soldiering and fighting - there are exceptions, such as the Bedouin of Jordan and the Carabiniere performance in Iraq of late - but history has generally shown these two groups are not up to soldiering and fighting. British Special forces members are generally discreet and reserved, whereas US special forces members can be spotted a mile off - weighed-down with medals and ranger/airborne tabs - and talk a lot.

In contrast, two of the most martial races on earth - the Irish and Scots - have had no recent tradition of private gun ownership on anything like the scale of the United States, yet they are well known and respected as warrior peoples. About 250,000 Irish people from the 'neutral' south volunteered to fight for Britain in the Second World War. Apart from tradition they did this because they like to fight, and because they are damn'd good at it. Some 5,000+ officers and men deserted from the Irish Army during WWII in order to join the British Forces so that they could fight (interestingly, no action was taken against them when they returned). This is unique. More recently, there was what amounted to a state funeral for Lance-Coproral Ian Malone, who was killed in Basra last April with the Irish Guards. There was an enormous outpouring of pride for this soldier. He represents for Ireland a centuries-old tradition of martial service and valour. When some sap of an interviewer asked his family how they felt - obviously hoping for some mawkish response - they simply replied that they were comforted by the fact that he died doing what he loved. That is the crucial difference between what I will term the 'British' tradition of soldiering and the so-called hardman school of gun fetishists.

Another example would be the laconic types from Britain who found themselves in uniform during the Second World War. They had spent the 20s and 30s having a hell of a time, with soldiering far from their thoughts, but once the balloon went up, they eased into military life and displayed lots os style, panache and courage. A lot of them ended up founding special forces units - Laycock, Stirling, Lord Lovat. Anyone familiar with Keith Douglas' 'Alamein to Zem Zem' will know of the Yeomanry fellows who brought their foxhounds and crated champagne with them to the Middle East...and gave the Afrika Korps a pasting. British special forces are the best in the world because they always have been - it is in their blood to be so.

Note - the Fall of Quebec took place in 1759, not 1704.

I also believe that the 'talk' of a dust-up between the SAS and SBS is just that - talk.

E

error_unknown

gallowglass said:
...and the Carabiniere performance in Iraq of late - ...
Are you fecking joking? These cnuts couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

gallowglass said:
Take for example Italy and the Arab world. Macho culture and throwing shapes with firearms is long-standing in both, but quite honestly they are generally speaking not particularly good at soldiering and fighting - there are exceptions, such as the Bedouin of Jordan and the Carabiniere performance in Iraq of late - but history has generally shown these two groups are not up to soldiering and fighting.
:oops: Good Lord! Giving credit to the Eyeties, what was I thinking of? Am drowning with a cold, so I can just about make out the screen. What I meant to say was - "they are generally speaking not particularly good at soldiering and fighting (take the Carabiniere in Iraq of late) - but there are exceptions, such as the Bedouin of Jordan..."

(earth shattering sneeze followed by furious wiping of screen... 8O )