Sewed myself up, need advice.

C

cloudbuster

I think the OP is going to be spending the next few weeks discovering just how fucked-up his auto-immune system really is.

BTW, what's happening with those boots?

I reckon you'll be fine. Early last year I cut my stomach open. I was polishing a knife blade and it got caught on the polisher and somehow flipped round and cut me. It was about 2" long, quite deep and had weird looking white stuff sticking out of it (not sure what that was, but I'm a fat cnut, so I'm guessing fat???)
I figured that the local surgery would just stick a couple of those streri-strip things on it which fall off in a couple of hours, so I sewed it up myself.
I boiled the kettle and dunked the needle and thread in to sterilise it...it hurt like fcuk, but I gave it a week or so, then cut them out. All healed and sorted.
The thing that surprised me most was how hard it is to get a needle through skin. So hard in fact, that I had to use a pair of pliers to hold the needle. Pushing it through the skin into the cut wasn't too bad, but the other way round nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Not the best night ever by a long chalk.

I reckon you'll be fine. Early last year I cut my stomach open. I was polishing a knife blade and it got caught on the polisher and somehow flipped round and cut me. It was about 2" long, quite deep and had weird looking white stuff sticking out of it (not sure what that was, but I'm a fat cnut, so I'm guessing fat???)
I figured that the local surgery would just stick a couple of those streri-strip things on it which fall off in a couple of hours, so I sewed it up myself.
I boiled the kettle and dunked the needle and thread in to sterilise it...it hurt like fcuk, but I gave it a week or so, then cut them out. All healed and sorted.
The thing that surprised me most was how hard it is to get a needle through skin. So hard in fact, that I had to use a pair of pliers to hold the needle. Pushing it through the skin into the cut wasn't too bad, but the other way round nearly brought tears to my eyes.
Not the best night ever by a long chalk.
Did you lose your hankie?

I have a lot of time for self-helpers, and plenty for pragmatic nurses but not much for the doctors, they always want you as a show-piece of their risk-avoidance and you have to negotiate their intentions down to a manageable level. Wait til you hear what they want to do when you put a Skilsaw through your calf, just no need for it really.

Used to do my own sutures so long as I could get both hands on the job, never had an infection. Eventually ran out of proffed sterile kit after i got married, did one of my knees (because direct pressure just wasn't stopping it, and I wanted to go out quick) with domestic needle and thread sorted with flames, boiling water and dettol but the kids saw me. After that they screamed more if they thought Dad was going to sort out their cuts than they did from the cuts themselves.

Based only on my experiences, you'll be fine so long as you did the irrigate/scrub with cotton wool then the dettol-straight-into-the-cut bit first, followed of course by the special dance, and keep it well-clean after. Smarts a bit more than the stitching. Top bloke-work, though.

Best was getting a steak knife through the back of my hand during one of those drunken Italian restaurant incidents with the lads, so I pulled it out but got a tiny 'squirter' that wouldn't behave. Tried direct pressure for some time but, frankly, that wasn't blokey enough so after being asked to leave due to the blood we all walked into the next bar and, with my boss clamping my arm on the bar, we poured a couple of flaming Sambucca's straight in and clapped a barmat round it, to the sound of the barmaids' screams and retching. Suffered ages of pain and a curled up crab-hand due to the burn, which I couldn't mention at work, but the bleed ended so that's OK by pissed-bloke standards. Should have gone to Casualty on that one I suppose, but when you get there you find people far more needy than yourself, which is always embarrassing.

Did anybody else read about Sir Ranolfth Fiennes cutting his own frost bitten toes off?

PoGs
www.pocketcomms .com

Earned myself a 5 cm long, 1 cm deep gash to the leg, just below the calf, yesterday. Went to the local emergency room, was told it as a 6 + hour wait to see a doc. So I decided to sew it up myself with sterilised needle and thread. terilized everything in isopropyl, washed out wound with boiled water from a boiled bowl, alcohol directly into wound, packed wound with polysporin, sewed shut. 7 stiches total.
Question is, is my sterilization method acceptable, are there any precautions I missed, should I expect a brutal infection, and how would I recognise said infection if it were to develope?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
It's a bit late to be asking that now, mate. Give us a report every 24 hours? Interested to see how long it will be before your leg drops off.

What size feet are you?
I only ask cos if your foot falls off, can I have your boots?

A mate of mine was fishing a French lake for Carp. It was very muddy so he took off his shoes and socks and waded through the mud to cast. On the way back he stood on what he thinks was a broken bottle.

The resulting wound was very nasty and bled lots.

They used a small hook and some braid to sew up the gash after washing with bottled water.

Not only did it work, he had no infection afterwards and managed to fish the remainder of his holiday.

Unfortunately the rest of him rotted away several years later due to drink!

A mate of mine was fishing a French lake for Carp. It was very muddy so he took off his shoes and socks and waded through the mud to cast. On the way back he stood on what he thinks was a broken bottle.

The resulting wound was very nasty and bled lots.

They used a small hook and some braid to sew up the gash after washing with bottled water.

Not only did it work, he had no infection afterwards and managed to fish the remainder of his holiday.

Unfortunately the rest of him rotted away several years later due to drink!
So you were left with just this one unrotted foot :-?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Barrack Room Lawyer The NAAFI Bar 5
fish-head The NAAFI Bar 10
A Sappers 1