Seventh soldier seven days dies in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jul 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Times
    July 8, 2009
    Seventh soldier seven days dies in Afghanistan
    Times Online
    A seventh British soldier has been killed in Afghanistan in as many days, the MoD confirmed today.

The serviceman, from the Light Dragoons, died in an explosion near Gereshk in Helmand Province last night.

He was taking part in Operation Panchai Palang, or Panther’s Claw, a major assault against the Taleban in the central Helmand river valley ahead of next month’s Afghan presidential election.

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said: “This soldier gave his life for the security of his own country and the freedom of the Afghan people -there is no greater sacrifice than this.
    More on the link
  2. This has been a bad week so far and it gets worse.

Very sad news.

Rest In Peace Lad.
  3. This is very sad news indeed. I am concernd that this rate of faitality, can NOT go on indefinitely, without there being a major change of policy to a war with no real end game plan.
  4. Sgt.Slingsby

Sgt.Slingsby War Hero Good Egg (charities)

Bad news piled on bad news. Nobody wins in that sh1tty place - the last couple of centuries have proved that.

At the moment we're playing hard-ball - perhaps that's the cause.
    Doesn't make it any better for the guys and the families, though.

RIP, warriors of ALL UN Forces involved.
  5. I totaly agree with you sgt, slingsby.
  6. Stand down fella. RIP
  7. The OPFOR appear to be stepping up their own game in order to match ours. What grips my sh1t more than anything though is that the lads are scrapping for their lives now and no doubt in a few months time the ground will have been handed back to local control. Fast forward another few months and Britfor will need to take the ground again.

The government need to stop p1ssing about and start holding NATO/The EU to account. That country needs flooding with troops and ground taken needs to be ground held. At the moment the European nations aren't being held to account and if they're not going to support us properly its time to fcuk them off completely. Britsh service personnel are fighting a war which their own government aren't taking seriously. Sadly they are dying and I am getting worried like in Iraq it is all going to prove pointless when the government finally decide public support is gone and they just sack it.
  8. RIP

Wot the bear said

9. Writing RIP and having your stupid sig block flashing away is a fcukin insult.
  10. In your first paragraph - I thought that the current op was the precursor to NOT surrendering the ground after. I was under the impression that the extra American soldiers were there so that this would not happen.
  11. It wouldn't be the first time they had said one thing and done another now would it. It also wouldn't be the first time hard won ground had been handed back to those who were ill equipped to defend it.
  12. RIP Deepest condolences to Family and Friends
  13. God bless this young lad from Lancashire, after being MD ed whilst serving with the QLR he had the balls to get medically fit again and goin the Dragoons R I P Lad , such as sad loss ..... as they all are ... the sooner this week is over the better