Seven KIA Repatriated As Hundreds Pay Tribute.

RIP,
my condolences to the families & friends.

Breaking top news story on Sky News.

Hundreds of mourners in Wootton Bassett are paying their respects to seven British soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan.

The bodies of Sergeant Steven Darbyshire, Lance Corporal Michael Taylor, Marine Paul Warren, all of 40 Commando Royal Marines, Lance Corporal David Ramsden, of 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment, Colour Sergeant Martyn Horton, Private Alex Isaac and Private Douglas Halliday, all of 1st Battalion The Mercian Regiment, were flown to RAF Lyneham earlier today.

A private repatriation ceremony was held at the base before the cortege passed through the nearby town of Wootton Bassett, where it has become a tradition for people to pay their respects for all the fallen men and women.

Sergeant Darbyshire, 35, from Wigan, was killed by small arms fire during a fight with insurgents while on a security patrol in the Sangin district of Helmand Province on June 23.

Lance Corporal Taylor 30, from Rhyl, was killed during an exchange of fire with insurgents in Sangin while manning a sentry post in the patrol base on June 22.

Marine Warren was fatally injured in an explosion when the patrol base airport lounge was attacked on June 21.

Lance Corporal Ramsden, Colour Sergeant Horton, Private Isaac and Private Halliday were killed when their vehicle rolled into a waterway near Gereshk, Helmand, on June 23.

The soldiers were part of a Police Advisory Team, travelling as part of a two-vehicle convoy tasked to attend an incident at a nearby check point.

Former warrant officer Rob Law, 45, who served alongside Col Sgt Horton, said he was there to show his support in particular for the three members of the Mercian Regiment.

He said: "We're all here to pay respect to someone we knew. It's a very difficult day, especially for the families. But everyone is feeling it."

Bill Baldam, who served with the RAF fire service and is now a member of the Calne, Wiltshire, branch of the Royal British Legion, came to pay tribute.

The 63-year-old said: "I'm here to pay respects to these young lads. We don't have to do it, but we want to do it. It could be my son, it could be my brother."

Mr Baldam said he had "lost count" of the number of repatriations he had attended, but seeing seven coffins pass through would be particularly difficult.

P_J

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Private Isaac and Private Halliday are from where I live and if the last funeral we had here (a friend of mine) is anything to go by, pretty much the whole of the Wirral will line the streets.

R.I.P to you all.

R.I.P. Csgt Martyn "Bobby" Horton

You will be sadly missed by family, friends, colleagues, and former colleagues. A true professional and always up for a laugh. A sad loss.

YNWA.