settling in the UK...

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by peaches., May 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I intend on enlisting with the infantry as a commonwealth applicant very shortly. As I don't have a sponsor, I will have to start the process from scratch. I will need a modest source of income during this time - got plenty saved up - and a cheapish sort of place to stay.

Had a look at all this stuff on the net but it all seems a bit daunting and i dont really have a clue at what to be looking for. So basically I'm after some pointers i.e areas to stay and how to go about gaining work - decent labour hire companies??? etc.

All my previous employment in Australia has been unticketed metal-fabrication trades assistant stuff with some basic, apprentice-level MIG/TIG welding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

2. Peaches

Have you already made contact with the AFCO staff in London who deal with candidates from overseas?

3. cant say i have as yet, im still waiting on my visa. should that be done asap?

4. I think you should. It's much better to clarify your situation before travelling to the UK.

5. thanks for the pointer but i've already had a crack at that. You then get sent an email that outlines basic criteria all of which i meet - except one - that you have a sponsor if you wish to begin an overseas application.

because i dont have any relatives/contacts in the uk i obviously cant do this. i then jumped on the online careers office and was told that basically as long as I make it to the UK then i can start the application off the street with no need for a sponsor???

edited to make sense.

6. Bump to see if anyone else can advise.