Setting up a wireless network

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Yokel, Mar 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been trying to set up a bit of a wireless network. My PC is connected to the net via ADSL and modem. I am intending to replace the modem with a wireless router, still connected to the PC via a USB cable, and wireless to a laptop.

However, trying to install the router was less than sucessful, as the software kept saying that my ISP didn't recognise the router (kept asking for VCI/VPI?). I still had a connection to my PC, but at a reduced connection speed - possibly due to a dodgy connection, the DSL cable seemed to not plug into the router too well.

No idea if there was a wireless connection.

Any comments?
  2. who is your ISP? As far as i know (which ain't far) your VCI is normally 38. VPI is normally 0

PS msr is the man to ask, he usually pops in during the evening!
  3. If it a Netgear router, their number is printed underneath, I have found (despite ending up in India), they are much better than my ISP.
  4. msr

msr LE

Which router and which ISP?
  5. I had a problem a while back where my new ISP (O2) didn't like my Linksys router. I plugged in the arrse router that I got from the ISP, and it all worked. No idea why? Couldn't be arrsed fault finding it.
  6. Some info that may help

UK ADSL Settings (covers all UK ISP's except Karoo)

* PPPoA with VC Mux or PPPoE with LLC Based
    * VPI 0
    * VCI 38

Additional Information for AOL Users

* AOL UserID needs to have at the end i.e.
    * Password needs to be 8 chararcters long or less
    * MTU (Optional) set to 1400

Karoo (Kingston Comm) is a private ADSL service in Hull. It uses a different ADSL network to the rest of the UK therefore the settings are.

* Interface Type - PPPoA (RFC 2364)
    * VPI 1
    * VCI 50
    * Authentication Mode CHAP
    * Modulation Type G.DMT
    * Encapsulation Mode LLC
  7. I was trying again yesterday. Connected wireless modem/router - ok. Installed software - ok. Got ADSL cable feeding modem and hence PC. Got broadband on PC - the icon claimed a commection speed of 100 Mbps (cf normal connection speed of (allegedly) 1.8 or so Mbps). Tried connecting laptop wirelessly - it did, but the internet could not be accesed via the laptop. Tried again - only for it to work even less well.

Arrrgh! Any ideas? I note the the ADSL light flashes - meaning connected but with a problem. I wonder if this is due to the connector, cable length, or just the fact of being at the end of a rural phone line?

Also how do I set it up, so that conncting laptop(s) do not use the same e-mail address/log in as I do, but their own. There is such a thing as privacy!

Thanks in advance!
  8. Need this info before anyone can give any realistic advice.

If you are referring to your ISP login information (i.e. the ISP login information you put into the router).... you can't.

It sounds like the problem is with your wireless settings if you are connected OK on your desktop and can access the internet fine from there. But, as said, need the make and model of the router to really help.
  9. Just to throw a spanner in the works = I'm with o2 Broadband ADSL 2+, and my VPI/VCI is 0/101. No username or password required.
  10. The router conects to the net not your laptop.
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the o2 routers are preprogrammed to connect to the network so you just make sure you have a reasonable password if you are worried about people jumping onto your network.

your problem is more likely to be windows rather than the router but you can log in to the router and check the settings under o2wirelessbox.lan in your browser. modern windows have reasonable diagnostics and the ms fixit centre does actually work. also the 02 cd has a broadband manager which is very good at sorting out issues as well as logging you into the help centre where again soomeone can sort it remotely if needed. (one reason why they setup the router before sending it out)

one thing you might find is if there are a lot of wifi networks in your area then more than 2 using the same channel will ruin your connection, a freeware program called insidder will show you which channels are free for you to use.
  12. Had the same problem as Yokel, PC hardwired to modem and wireless to the laptop(don't asked me how I did it). Have the newVirginmedia 80mb broadband. PC speed is fecking brilliant but the wireless speed to Laptop is pathetic. Any ideas how to speed up the wireless side of things. Found this site helpful when setting things up.
    Knowledge Base
  13. Part of the problem is that I connect to the via my ISP, but they also provide an IP connection via PPOE (spelling wrong I know) which I cannot remember the numbers for. Doh!