Setting up a "Warrior Transition Unit"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by crabtastic, Jun 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Let's build a barracks for wounded and recovering troops returning from ops. Excellent idea, don't you think? We can let all the guys with PTSD settle back into the swing of things. Now where shall we put it?

Oh, I know, there's some spare land right over there, next to the ranges:

Well done, septics. Well done you. :roll:
  2. Sorry, it may sound callous (and I know abit about PTSD myself) but the experience of the sound of gunfire is normal in the services. Could this be a useful part of transition back to normal military life?

3. Hello,

this is slightly off topic but during the First World War,I believe the French treated their "shell shock" casualties very differently to the British Army.
    We treated them as medical cases and sent them to off shell shock hospitals.
    The French kept them under military discipline doing manual labour and other tasks.
    Recovery rates for French soldiers turned out to be better than for British soldiers.
    I wonder if the French approach would be helpful to our casualties today?

4. The ones we didn't shoot :?:
  5. I remember reading some bloke's Vietnam memoir in which he said the best thing the Army could have done for him would have been to let him spend the last few weeks of his tour blatting off decreasing amounts of ammo until he was back to normal. Maybe if they put these lads on the range first thing?
  6. Does the recognised treatment for PTSD (in combat) not still involve keeping the casualty close to their mates so they can talk it over with others involved in the incident?
  7. I think you'll find there were far, far more 'shell shock' casualties than soldiers shot at dawn. And of course only some, by no means all, of those shot at dawn were suffering from 'shell shock'.
  8. Keeping people as close to the front as possible is part of the SOP for managing Battle Stress, but not PTSD.
  9. What,you can't mean there were more than 306..............