Setting up a charity

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by White_Spirit, Oct 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I, among many other friends support charities and worthy causes during our spare time. Below are some charities that we have either donated or helped with

Handicapped swimming

Dolphine therapy

Chairty for the blind

Clic

Children with M.E.

SOS

Act on Aids

Once a year, I and a few others tried to devote a week or so towards volunteer work. We have been abroad with this and met many other people who have the same thoughts towards this subject.

I was introduced to this site via a friend and have read a few threads; I can say that it has given me a few chuckles!

I am attempting to start up a charity. I am not too sure on what I want to base my charity on as of yet, so my thoughts to any one reading are this:

* What denotes a decent charity?
    * What causes would be easier to support by a small founder?
    * What would stand out in advertising about a charity to yourself?

I know this is a big step but one that I, along with other willing parties believe in. This may not be interesting to others. Helping people/children to do something that only "normal" people can do, is such a good feeling. Seeing a smile on a child’s face can say so much.

:)

2. Advice is don't, there are tens of thousands out there already, due to previous fraudsters and the likes of Osama the paperwork is now equivilent to running a PLC. Just decide if you want to do the deeds - in which case continue supporting your existing charities or if you want the 'glory' in which case think long and hard.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Find a charity you want to be involved in and stick to it. They will help you. But if you want to go away for a week a year for different charities do that, lots will be pleased to have you.
    I don't trust the 'I want to set up a charity but don't know what' Doesn't ring true.