Set Triggers - Attitudes

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by cernunnos, Nov 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was learning to shoot as a kid in Kenya and in the UK, I never encountered any rifles with set triggers. I'd heard of them, but the general attitude in my family was that it was something for poncey target shooting. I wonder if this attitude is still prevalent in the UK?

When I bought my first rifle in Germany, a BSA in 7x64, it had a double set, double phase trigger of the type known in Germany as an "Englisch Stecher".

Like this one: [​IMG]

I was very wary of that feature at first, but was comfortable enough with the un-set trigger pull. After many years and much brass I started using the set trigger, which gives a trigger pull of ~100grams instead of the unset pull of 800-1000 grams, for difficult shots. I'm now a convert and have just bought a single set trigger for my M98 in .375 H&H, once fitted all my rifles will have set triggers.

Basically I'm a convert to the German way of shooting, I like the safety aspect of being able to use a fairly heavy trigger pull when shooting in woodland and scrub, where those prying brambles, twigs and grass blades could ruin your whole game drive, but also be able to select (and more importantly deselect using the safety and or the bolt lever) a hair trigger for finer supported shots.

Does anyone else use a set trigger? What's the attitude to them where you are?
  2. I have never used set triggers on rifles, but my two muzzle loading pistols have set triggers. They took a lot of getting used to, but I would not want to be without them now.
  3. I have a CZ with a set trigger.
    The "lightness" was "thought provoking/ eye opening" when first used, but since I generally use it for supported shots from a firm base I consider having it a bonus
  4. I've never tried using a set trigger, but it does sound like it could be useful.
  5. Yes, they tend to shit you up at first, the shot has gone before you've really thought about it! The feature grew on me very slowly, the evidence from halved group sizes, shot on the range, finally convinced me.

Given the longer ranges shot over in the UK with often open landscapes with little cover, in particular for red deer, I'm surprised they don't feature strongly on British rifles. 98% of German big game is shot at ranges under 100 meters!
  6. I prefer to do without them, as I feel they can cause "accidents" if you are a habitual user of a wide range of firearms types with mostly standard (to very heavy) triggers.

The limited amount of hunting I did as a kid in Africa was under the tutelage of hunters of British extraction/tradition, ie mostly ex-military and mostly using classic English rifles with standard triggers. Thus I have personally always shot & followed through according to the trigger weight of the particular rifle.
  7. Thats exactly the attitude my family had, there was also a suspicion that anything engineered that finely couldn't last in African conditions and the Gun Smith was several days drive away in Nairobi.

My experience of set triggers flies in the face of that, I've never had a technical/fouling/oiling/dirt/breakage problem with one!
  8. My Supermatch 54 came with a set trigger fitted (which I still have) but I changed it for a regular trigger. No idea why; I'm sure the former should be better for what the NSRA call "positional shooting" (Prone, Standing, Kneeling) which is what I did at the time.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Both my CZ rifles have single set triggers and when in a seat I find them useful but prefer not to use the functionwhen walking up game. I have no experience of the back to front types apart from a spencer pump action which is different and the doubles used to confuce me. I used a .222 Anschutz years ago foxing and would often hit the wrong trigger!
  10. Single set triggers, known here as "Kombiabzug" or "Ruckstecher" are better, you physically push the standard trigger forward to set it, apply the safety or open the breech to de select it.

On the double set trigger on my BSA you push the front lever forward to set it. The reversed curve of the trigger set lever prevents confusion and gives more clearance, particularly in cold weather when gloves may be worn. The German style double set triggers, "Deutscher Stecher" are often only distinguished by a minor difference in curvature and they are closer together. I'm no fan of that type.

This type that is: [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  11. An afterthought to my first post, I have a Remington 700 to which I fitted a Timney trigger some years ago. I have never felt the need to have a set trigger on it, the Timney is light and very crisp, does the job.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Remington 700s made prior to 2007 apparently had a safety issue with their triggers, shots could be released without the trigger being pulled, which is about as naughty as a trigger can get. Timney make good, precise, well engineered trigger and it's a good choice.

My Zastava/Mauser1898 in .375 H&H mag retails in America rebadged as the Remington 798 Safari. Timney offer dry triggers for that as well, but there is no advantage to be had over the factory fitted M98 trigger which is fully adjustable.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I used to have a Schultz & Larsen .22 Free Pistol (#103/200) with an incredibly delicate set trigger - if I lifted the pistol to the vertical the thing would go off! The trigger had a set-screw fitted: you can just see it in the photos. On mine the adjustment knob had been removed, so the point of contact was really quite sharp and easy to sense. Shot release occurred when the pad of my trigger finger was slightly depressed, so I needed to ensure I was "in contact" and nothing more until I was ready to fire.

I was never really any good with it, mainly because I was relatively crap at serious slow-fire precision shooting. I used to do better with my Webley single-shot [with a barrel weight from the OH's Unique DES-69]

14. How did you set it....push forward???
  15. My Bambi-botherer is a Steyr 6.5x55, it has a set trigger which is very useful at ranges of 150-300 yds off the bipod. Beyond that too no doubt but I'd sooner not take a shot than risk clipping one.

Click the trigger forward when made ready to use it - can be done in 'safe'.