Serving with the TA on exchange?

G'day,

I am currently serving with the Sydney University Regiment with the Australian Army Reserve, whilst studying at the Australian National University.

I am trying to get on an exchange program to spend a semester in the UK studying at Leeds or another eligable university, to have a look at the 'mother country' (as all colonials should).

I've been meaning to ask my OC about it, but thought you gents might have an insight, as to whether I can spend those 6 months with a TA Unit whilst i'm in the UK. It would be fantastic to experience another country's way of doing things, and come back with those experiences.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Have you tried emailing the TA people? They may be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry can't find a direct email address, others may be able to, TA website may be able to help you
TA

i know for a fact you can do this as my unit in the past 12 years has had at least 4 serving aussie reservists atached to it they were wearing there austrailian uniforms and and all were here whilst studding at university in fact i think we currently have one serving at the moment she was last year anyway

It is possible, I have also seen it done with RANR serving with RNR and a Canadian army reservist (Militia??) serving with a TA unit.

A sort of reverse approach would be to contact Austrailan High comission here in the UK, who would be the people making the final arrangements, and take their advice on how to get the ball rolling.

The big question is why Leeds? seems a very odd choice.

Cardinal

Cardinal said:
It is possible, I have also seen it done with RANR serving with RNR and a Canadian army reservist (Militia??) serving with a TA unit.

A sort of reverse approach would be to contact Austrailan High comission here in the UK, who would be the people making the final arrangements, and take their advice on how to get the ball rolling.

Cardinal
Aren't the Parachute Regiments TA based in Leeds?

balldrick said:
and all were here whilst studding at university
Freudian slip?

msr

We had loads of your mob on exchange with us - you are one of our affiliated regiments - contact details below:

G Company
7 RIFLES
The Cedars
Portway
London
E15 3QN

Tel: 0208 472 0140

or

F Company
52-56 Davies Street
Mayfair
London
W1K 5HR

Telephone:
0207 629 3674

Fax:
0207 414 3488

E-Mail:
londons-fcoypsao@tanet.mod.uk

Station:
Bond Street Underground Station

In my last regiment we had an aussie bird with us for a while, that was a signals regiment. There is a signals regiment in Leeds

Aye, a GRes subaltern commanding a London Regt pl was on PCTC with me. As for how you do it, I've no idea. I just know it doesn't cut the other way...

As has been said, The your Regiment is affiliated to the Rifles who have TA presence in Yorkshire which is probably ideal if you will be Leeds based.

Try this e-mail address riflesyorkshire@armymail.mod.uk

Or perhaps, more to the point, Leeds UOTC, which is the equivalent regiment (and it's infantry wing is too affiliated to the New Borg).

Bravo_Bravo said:
UOTC???

puh-lease....
SUR = Sydney "UOTC", although there are some differences (for example, the URs are subunits of RMC-A). Basically an Aussie UR is a cross between a UOTC and BOTW, and also conducts the first term of the Regular CC as an option.

However, the Aussies have a very different system for PT officers.

III Class (equiv Junior Term RMAS or Mod 1): 3x 15 day camps (or a 6 week camp) and 6 w/e
II Class (equiv Inters/ Mod 2, 3 and 4): 1x 15 day camp, 5 w/e and 1x 30 day camp
I Class (equiv Seniors/ Mod 5 and RMQ then JOTAC): 1x 14 day camp (RMQ and Mod 5, Commission occurs here) and 1x 19 day camp (equiv JOTAC, qualifies for war emergency Coy Comd)

Each of these is 6 months on the regular course, but going through the mill at a UR for 3 years is equivilant to III class ISTR

Who would pay him? Think you will find that the belt has been tightened and they can barely fund us never mind an exchange student.....

Thankyou all for your patience and assistance in helping me out!

Leeds was just an option I was looking at as its one of the nominated universities I can exchange with (Your more prestigeous establishments require us colonials to have scholarships)

I am currently a III Class Staff-Cadet, but will be a II Class cadet (Studying platoon level admin and tactics, leading a section of SCDT's in exercises) by the time I head to the UK. I am very aware that we are affiliated with the Rifles, but didnt know they had any kind of Officer Training Establishment.

Its fantastic to know that these oppurtunities do exist, as It was just a passing thought of mine - good to know it can and does happen! I will start by asking my CSM and OC about it, and if they cant help me, get in touch with the High Commission, aswell as getting some details from the TA itself.

@Balddrick - Its interesting to note you've seen exchangees in their 'Jelly Bean DPCU', would be convenient to stick to my own uniform, but I can imagine you'd stick out like a sore thumb. I was also curious as how how the training would array with that im doing here, and whether any training I receive in the UK will assist with gaining my Australian commission. (though I can imagine learning the art of the SA80 would be three fifths of fuckall use in an army that doesnt own a single one)

Thanks once again for your time and assistance, its greatly appreciated!

Cardinal said:

Cardinal
For the football club of course. Marching on together.

ROO_HEAD said:
For the football club of course. Marching on together.
Of course, that would be wise.

Leeds has 1 pln of the 4 Yorks and HQ Coy of 4 Para. Their is also Para Eng in Wakefield which is only a 5 minute train journey.

The closest units to the university are LUOTC, 34 Sig Regt, 269 Arty and THEM.

Slightly further afield is RLC, Medics and the Leeds Rifles fire team/pln of 4 Yorks.

Leeds is a very up and coming city, its a posh version of London.