Serving in the TA whilst living overseas

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by prairiefive-oh, Oct 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

    Is it possible to serve in the TA but live overseas? I have heard that it is, and that to do so, since you cannot attend weekly drill sessions or monthly weekends, you must attend longer blocks of training instead.

    If anyone has heard of this I'd be grateful for a response. My question has gone in to the defence attache in my country, no reply as yet.
  2. It is possible and one of our lads does it. He takes a 1.5~2 hour cheapo flight into the UK and thats it, HMG don't pay for the flight though, he does it for the love of the corps (or something). To be honest he has less of a problem getting in that some of the lads who need to navigate the M25.
  3. Theres a TA engineer Sqn in Germany if that helps
  4. I lived in Belgium for three years and attended. I booked Eurostar tickets early so that they were cheap as I knew when my weekends were. I put in a letter stating that my attendance would only be to that of weekends and the very occasional weeknight due to work not mention officially that you live out of the UK. Everyone was fine with it and I still did more days than a lot of my unit.
    Don't mention to anyone outside the company as there are some obscure regs about leaving. Just say to people that you are "on a six month contract" and then you get another six month contract etc etc. Anything over six months and you would have to leave - or so I was told by my old OC who happened to live outside the UK for four years!
  5. What country are you in?
    We've had TA soldiers living in Germany do exercises with us before (It counts as the TA two week exercise)
  6. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    It is possible and I know lads who have done it, but only after they have finished their initial training. If you can make it in every Wednesday night and every 4th weekend for the first 6 months then it shouldn't pose a problem further down the line.
  7. Let me guess prairiefive-oh, you're a Nebraska cop and you fancy joining the TA.
    Am I missing something?
  8. Thanks for the replies thus far.

    I am dual citizen British/ Canadian, residing in Canada. I have a friend who is a squadron leader in the RAF, who advised that he was vaguely aware of an RAuxAF Int reservist who lived in Australia, and a member of the TA who lived in Washington State, USA, both of whom commuted to the UK for annual camp and various longer blocks of training, in order to maintain their service.

    That's ideally what I am looking for.
  9. Ravers

    Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    So basically no.

    Unless you move to the UK for 6 months while you do your phase 1 training, it looks unlikely I'm afraid. The RAFaux and other TA bod you mention will have lived in the UK, completed their training and moved after they had been in a few years.

    Why don't you just join the Canadian reserves?
  10. Aye, or the RCMP Specials (quiet at the back) you may even get an Afghan tour out of it.
  11. Who is going to pay for your MTDs?

    It is possible to serve in the TA overseas on 'attachment' to a foreign reserve force, however all who do so are generally sponsored by their parent unit on the basis that they will return to the fold in the (not too distant) future.

    And in this time of shrinking budgets, it ain't going to get any easier!
  12. appreciate all the responses thus far; will await furthers from the attache.
  13. Heres the official position from TA Regulations (paragraph e):


    5.037. A person is eligible to enlist only if he is resident in the United Kingdom and is one of the following:

    a. a Commonwealth citizen,

    b. a British protected person, or

    c. a citizen of the Republic of Ireland by birth.

    d. Applicants who are foreign nationals who have served at least 4 years reckonable service in the Regular Army, have resided in the UK (which includes BFPO addresses) for a minimum of 5 years and have Indefinite Leave to Remain, may be considered. Applicants who were discharged under QR (Army), paras 9.396, 9.397, 9.404 or 9.405 will not be eligible to apply.

    e. Applicants who are resident outside of the UK may enlist into the TA only in the following cases:

    (1) UK, And Commonwealth citizens resident in the Republic of Ireland.

    (2) UK, Commonwealth and Republic of Ireland citizens resident in Germany (including a BFPO addresses) may enlist into 412 Troop RE(V).

    (3) UK, Commonwealth and Republic of Ireland citizens resident in the Channel Islands may enlist into the Channel Islands Field Squadron (V)

    Not that this is to enlist, once you are in if you decide to move abroad but can still maintain your commitment you can continue to serve (which explains the cases above). I know of an Officer who spent the entire year in Switzerland and just came back for a camp every year...
  14. cpunk

    cpunk LE Moderator

    The people I have known who have done this are:

    a. All ex-regulars.

    b. All serving in nationally recruited 'specialist' TA units who thus don't have drill nights and regular weekend training to attend.
  15. ...he was in a Specialist unit funnily enough.