Servicing your own bike to be illegal?

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheIronDuke, Oct 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Chatting to a chum who is a badly dressed motorcycle hooligan he tells me there are plans afoot about servicing bikes. That you must take it to an authorised garage to be serviced thus making it 'illegal' to service it yourself. Anybody heard about this or is he being wound up? I've tried Google but can find nowt.
  2. It's bollocks, how would all the classic bikers get their machines serviced? "Hello, can I book in my 1923 Champion Imperial for a service? What's that you say?".
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Why would they make it illegal? I smell a stitch up.
  4. As a badly-dressed motorcycle hooligan meself, I can confirm that the EUSSR are planning to interfere with all manner of things bike-related. And when they've finished with us, they'll be coming for you car drivers.

How would you, for instance, like to allow passing police officers to interrogate your car's onboard diagnostics and download GPS data showing the cars's recent journeys and speeds and issue FPNs for every recorded infraction? A smidge too Orwellian, perhaps?

Consultation and response documentation can be found here: EU proposed regulation for the type approval and market surveilance of 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles and quadricycles - Consultations - Department for Transport - fill it in, object to everything and get it done by Oct 28.
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Surely the MOT negates the need for 'authorised servicing'?

As long as the bike/car/tank/spaceship passes it's yearly test, who gives a **** what happens to it in the time inbetween?

6. If Kwik-Fit aren't making a few bob out of it, then that's an impediment to economic recovery. And after all, if just one life is saved, surely any amount of vastly expensive interference in what is laughingly called our private lives is justified.......
  7. ...edited cos i was talking shite, for once.
  8. The proposed legislation doesn't say that servicing must always be carried out at an authorised workshop, it says that manufacturers must release servicing and maintenance information to independent workshops. There is no requirement to actually service the thing at all.
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I disagree Darwinism still has its place, if your too dumb to keep your bike in good order and a wheel comes off more fool you.
  10. On a related note (sort of) I have just heard that having tyres (car and bike) over 6(7?) years old will be a reason for an MOT fail as from next year?

More rumour or fact this time?
  11. I wondered whether I should write THIS IS SARCASM at the top of the post, but then I thought, naah, nobody is that hard of thinking....
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lots of stories going around the classic car people about not being able to work on a car in Italy If you are not qualified, or you carn't do an oil change or drop the coolant in Germany. I haven't come across facts to back up these stories and think most restrictions are down to environmental considerations but I wonder how long we will be able to do our own welding or brake repairs in this "elf n safety" new Jarusalem were building.
  13. Hopefully that will force the ugly, noisy, chrome clad pieces of shite off the road. And I'm all for it applying to 'classic' cars too. The roads today are just too busy to get stuck behind something pastel colured, half timbered and with leather tyres resolutely doing 32mph. Even at the sodding weekends.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. It's a fair bet my classics are faster than your eurobox except for my 2a which fits your description to a tee. But then again you are my crumplezone and I thank you for that.
  15. If the daily heil is anything to go by it won't be long until 32mph is the maximum allowed speed (if you have the advanced driving licence) and all vehicles * will be governed to not be able to exceed this limit.

* all vehicles except government/council/wives of etc of course.