Servicemen tax exempt petition to Downing street

What's the rationale for this? Everyone else pays taxes - why should ex-services be exempt?

Let's see some real justification / explanation for this - none given on the link.

Can't support this one, sorry. I hate paying taxes as much as the next person but this is too much to ask.

Hobo-Ken said:
What's the rationale for this? Everyone else pays taxes - why should ex-services be exempt?

Let's see some real justification / explanation for this - none given on the link.
This is a nonsense.

In principle it is bad as it makes yet another “special case”.

Practically, it is mad as the tax regime is already so complicated that even HMRC don’t understand it.

Furthermore it will result in Service pensions being reduced to account for them being tax free – it will happen, rest assured.

I think it was Lawson who wisely said that tax should be low, simple and obligatory.

Absolutely fine dont sign it then. If you are an ex serviceman remember to refuse the exemption and send it back to the lovely tax man when it comes into your account.

Of course we will never get exemption but we have the right to ask because of our wonderful democracy.

Why do London MPs get second home allowances when they live 8 miles from Westminster?

Wise Up!

Why should we be exempt from taxes?

elovabloke

ADC
Not a good move. People spend many hours trying to gain public support for service personnel than someone comes up with a bone idea to alienate them.

An explanation as to why the petition organiser feels that forces pensioners are a special case may help, but I doubt it.

catnaping said:
Why not?

argue
What a brilliant argument as to why we should not pay taxes. :roll:

I'll ask again, why should we be exempt from paying tax?

I think you mean you're a silly person, how are you going to gain any support for your "cause" when you cannot even argue a case.

Perhaps supporting the latest RBL campaign would ensure a better return for all out pensioners see HERE

I am still waiting to find out why you feel they should be treated as a special case then I may argue for or against your motion.

The truth is is not my case i,m not ex.

And like I said I cannot be bothered to justify as I have in the past spent so much time doing so.

If you noticed I asked you to say why ex service personnel should pay, someone stated because we all do.

Of course, that makes it all right then doesnt it. Be downtroden be conformist dont question authority, you must have been the perfect automaton serviceman. Stiff upeer lip and all that ehh

And we should not pay taxes, why? We still use the same services as everybody else, we live in the same country, therefore we should contribute.

Why shouldn't Soldiers be able to use the existing tax rules to claim tax back?
No special deal or exceptions just use the same tax breaks that would be available if they were a civvy.

Edit. Sorry just saw that this was for military PENSIONS. in that case you are a civvy and can make use of any tax breaks that you are entitled to. I am now with the others on this. Military pensions should be taxed like any other

catnaping said:
If you noticed I asked you to say why ex service personnel should pay, someone stated because we all do.
Not all pensioners will pay tax, it will depend on their earnings - my wife will get a service pension in a few years time. As, like the majority of service personnel she did not complete a full engage and therefore her pension will be very small (bugger there goes early retirement) and unless she is lucky enough to be in receipt of another income will not be paying tax on it.

Tax is unfortunately a necessity to pay for the many free and not so free goodies we all receive in our short life time. By reducing the amount of tax (income) that the government receives will reduce in the amount of free and not so free goodies that you will receive in your life time.

If your not happy with that, stop paying your tax and stay away from the NHS.