Servicemen tax exempt petition to Downing street

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by catnaping, Mar 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's the rationale for this? Everyone else pays taxes - why should ex-services be exempt?

Let's see some real justification / explanation for this - none given on the link.
  2. Money!!! silly boy. Do you really need that explaining.
  3. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Can't support this one, sorry. I hate paying taxes as much as the next person but this is too much to ask.
  4. This is a nonsense.

In principle it is bad as it makes yet another “special case”.

Practically, it is mad as the tax regime is already so complicated that even HMRC don’t understand it.

Furthermore it will result in Service pensions being reduced to account for them being tax free – it will happen, rest assured.

I think it was Lawson who wisely said that tax should be low, simple and obligatory.
  5. Absolutely fine dont sign it then. If you are an ex serviceman remember to refuse the exemption and send it back to the lovely tax man when it comes into your account.

Of course we will never get exemption but we have the right to ask because of our wonderful democracy.

Why do London MPs get second home allowances when they live 8 miles from Westminster?

Wise Up!
  6. Very good point, they would adjust pension payments accordingly and no one would benefit.

How sad that we are so submissive though!
  7. Why should we be exempt from taxes?
  8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Not a good move. People spend many hours trying to gain public support for service personnel than someone comes up with a bone idea to alienate them.

An explanation as to why the petition organiser feels that forces pensioners are a special case may help, but I doubt it.
  9. Why not?

10. We are alienated! Who cares for the reasons why one is alienated it doesnt matter when you already are!
  11. What a brilliant argument as to why we should not pay taxes. :roll:

I'll ask again, why should we be exempt from paying tax?
  12. Im bored and I cant be bothered to expain. Your a silly person arent you.
  13. I think you mean you're a silly person, how are you going to gain any support for your "cause" when you cannot even argue a case.
  14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Perhaps supporting the latest RBL campaign would ensure a better return for all out pensioners see HERE

I am still waiting to find out why you feel they should be treated as a special case then I may argue for or against your motion.