Servicemen in Iraq less stressed than British emergency services

I wonder what the stats would have been if they had just interviewed those who had seen/done something that might trigger stress, rather than a sample across the board which might have included people who although were in theatre didnt witness anything dramatic.

S

Snoreador

Interesting stuff, will try and get hold of the whole paper for a read. I wonder if it is related to training at all? Having not gone through either military or emergency services training of any sort (yet), I can't comment on the differences between the two, but I expect there are those here who can.

What ****ing psychologists? There are none at Headley. Is this just another bullshit made up story?

Are there any UK troops left in Iraq? If not, that might explain why the firemen are more stressed than them.

I think there is only about 50 left in Iraq and are there as a training team for the Iraqi Army.
A member on here is out there at the moment as a staff officer instructor instructing thier.... er staff officers.

All of you clearly have no understanding of what an aa patrolman has to face on a daily basis year after year.

I remember around 1993 ish the RAC launched a campaign where they called their mechanics 'The New Knights Of The Road' and stood in a queue the week it was on telly, with a mate of mine a few others and an RAC bloke queued behind us in the pouring December rain to get some tea up at a tiny tea/butty cabin place in a remote spot in the countryside...I turned to him and we were all laughing a bit at our bedraggled, drenched state and I said to him 'which knight are you then' and he replied immediately 'a very cold, wet and pissed off one!' Fair play to them.

Anyway this Iraq story is a load of rubbish isnt it? Got to be.
"Those who reported psychological distress were most likely to be young, female, in the Army, and of junior rank."

I'm sold.

"Those who reported psychological distress were most likely to be young, female, in the Army, and of junior rank."

I'm sold.

I read that bit, I'm wondering if the female bit is down to them not getting treated the same as they do out of theatre, IE the fact they sometimes almost get treated the same as men.

I read that bit, I'm wondering if the female bit is down to them not getting treated the same as they do out of theatre, IE the fact they sometimes almost get treated the same as men.
What.
You mean.
Sometimes SWORN AT?
How could you?

I'm sold.
That's not stress. Unless they've been having naked orgies with a ten man pile on.

As the actual Telegraph article makes clear, the figures are based on a survey of 611 service men and women carried out at eight locations in Iraq in Jan-Feb 2009.

As the actual Telegraph article makes clear, the figures are based on a survey of 611 service men and women carried out at eight locations in Iraq in Jan-Feb 2009.
Is that 8 locations in the COB?

A survey carried out of 611 service personnel found that women completed it in a girlie manner (I.e with an element of truth) and the fellas filled it in a manly manner (I.e as a joke).

I've filled out numerous surveys, got bored after 10 questions then ticked a for the remainder.

Is that 8 locations in the COB?

A survey carried out of 611 service personnel found that women completed it in a girlie manner (I.e with an element of truth) and the fellas filled it in a manly manner (I.e as a joke).

I've filled out numerous surveys, got bored after 10 questions then ticked a for the remainder.
It can be hard going at the COB. There was one time the Ice cream machine broke. I still wake up at night with a cold sweet.

It can be hard going at the COB. There was one time the Ice cream machine broke. I still wake up at night with a cold sweet.
What kind of cold sweet? A sorbet?

"Personnel belonging to junior ranks were also more likely to show symptoms of PTSD, along with those who felt they were in danger of being killed."

no shit sherlock! fcuk me have I got to go through 3 years of study to come up with gems like this? 'rolls eyes and shakes head'.

Hadn't most of the sharp end units gone by Feb 2009?

Do we reckon the 'researchers at the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London.' have bottled it for Afghanistan? or have they cancelled the Afaghanistan research due tothemselves showing more than 20% distress at being in a war zone and a higher than 3% rate of PTSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to be fair anyone who has to deal with the great unwashed on a daily business without access to automatic weaponary is eventually going to end up stressed.
cause they got rights