Service pay commitments in the party manifestos

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Apr 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Conservative Party has given a commitment to double the Operational Allowance, which was introduced under the present government in 2006.

Unsurprisingly for the party in government which recently accepted the AFPRB recommendations 2010, the Labour Party manifesto gives no specific commitment about increasing pay, but has a general statement that "The growth in the core defence budget has also enabled us to guarantee fair pay for all our forces, including the first ever tax-free bonus for those on operations abroad".

I understand that the Liberal Democrat manifesto coming out about now has a commitment to increase the pay of junior ranks, which in principle would be welcome. What I initially heard via media was that this might involve an increase for all junior ranks who are deployable, an interesting reversal of the Conservative proposal to double the Operational Allowance.

However, the Lib Dem spokesman on Radio 5 Live this morning seemed to be saying that the increase would go up to the rank of Sgt but not Lt.

Given the existing OR-3 and OF-1 pay scales, I was surprised to hear that when I was interviewed later on the same programme, but I reserved judgement until the details are available shortly.

I did say it was great that all three major parties have given prominence this time to issues affecting the armed forces, even if some of it is "window-dressing".
  2. Not much detail here. I haven't seen the manifesto yet.

3. Manifesto is online. This is the relevant bit. No mention of how they're going to pay for it.

"The brave men and women of Britain’s armed forces are the most precious military asset we have. They must be treated fairly, with pay and conditions that reflect their outstanding commitment to this country, and properly valued and supported after they leave the services.

Liberal Democrats will put the forces’ welfare first. We will:
    • Give a pay rise to the lower ranks so that their pay is brought into line
    with the starting salary of their emergency services counterparts.
    • Double the rate of modernisation of forces’ family homes to ensure
    they are fit for heroes.
    While it is necessary to find resources to support the troops properly, at the same time fairness requires that we make savings where possible within the defence budget as a whole. We will reduce the number of civilian staff in the Ministry of Defence and reduce numbers of top brass officers."
  4. "Homes fit for Heroes" now where have I heard that before??
  5. It seems that the Lib Dems read the Sun as well. Great grasp of military terminology, how about Nick Clegg for SoS for Defence in the hung parliament.
  6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

My LibDem man promised that the forces would have equallity with the police. When I asked if that also included time served and pension rights he looked like he'd swollowed a wasp. I wished I'd saved his election paper so I could publish it.
  7. What do they class as emergency services counterparts? Nurses don't earn alot.
  8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

:? They don't do a lot either other than travel around in buses looking for parties :D and getting lost :(
  9. Doesn't this smack of being a reference to what they've done rather than what they're going to do?

10. Surely that's the fault of the bus driver?