Service of an old soldier

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by mgmaniac, Jun 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. My Father-in-law passed away a week ago and will be buried on Wed 24th june. He never talked much about his short time in the Army, only to say that he worked with horses. I have no idea as to what regiment he belonged, although he did mention Catterick. His name was James Thomas Simpson 11/11/1911 and we believe he must have joined up sometime between 1927 and 1935, as we know that he served with the Merchant Navy before, during and after WW2. Is anyone able to help and suggest where I can look or ask, so that we may be able to complete the picvture of hid adult life. Many thanks Graham
  2. Strange that there is nothing in his papers to indicate his service, but it appears that access to records is becoming easier with the help of the net.
    I know how frustrating it can be trying to trace family members, so I wish you all the best in your search.

There are some knowledgeable blokes on here, I am sure that help will be forthcoming. Good luck.
  3. Try the National Archive:

4. MGM just called me from Kew where he has found a number of interesting facts, but not about the Army service
  5. I am sure that records for Servicemen who might still be alive are still with the MOD in Glasgow. Only the records for the First World War have been transferred to Kew.

MGM will need a copy of the death certificate for a start. We have covered this in a previous topic - for which I will now search.

6. Evening mgmaniac

I don't know how much use the following links, and info, may be, but you and perhaps others, with similar enquiries, could give these a try :

"Access to personal data held by the MOD may be sought for many reasons, including:

proof of Service in HM Armed Forces
    medical reasons
    family history or research

What about records in the public domain?
    The following personnel Service records have been transferred to the National Archive (formerly the Public Record Office) and are available for public access.

Royal Navy Officers commissioned prior to 1914
    Royal Navy Ratings who enlisted prior to 1924 and First World War records for the Women's Royal Naval Service
    Royal Marine Officers commissioned prior to 1926
    Royal Marine Other Ranks that enlisted prior to 1926
    Army Officers commissioned prior to 1920
    Army Other Ranks that enlisted prior to 1920
    Royal Air Force Officers that served prior to 1922
    Royal Air Force Airmen that served prior to 1924
    Service records which pre-date those held by the MOD have been transferred to the National Archive and are freely available for public access.
    However the National Archives is not resourced to carry out searches.

Enquirers are instead welcome to visit, or hire an independent researcher -see the National Archive website for further details.

Free Veterans Helpline

Freephone 0800 169 22 77 (UK only)
    BT Mobile, Orange, Virgin or 3 mobile, Customers will not be charged for the call by their provider

0800 169 34 58 Textphone facility (UK only)
    +44 1253 866043 (Overseas)
    Telephone lines are open:
    8.15am to 5.15pm Monday to Thursday; and
    8.15am to 4.30pm Friday" /End quotes

Postal address
    Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, Norcross, Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, FY5 3WP.

for email contact please put the theme of your email in the Subject line
    eg: Service Records , Medals, etc

National Archives Website:
    With "A guide to finding records of ancestors who served in the Army".

Military History/Merchant Navy Records

There are some good and better folks than me on these pages, hope this little contribution helps.

7. MGm has quite a lot of old Jims stuff, and he got about a bit

Jim's Merchant Navy Log Book

Attached Files:

8. Thanks, Tremaine. I couldn't find any reference to a previous thread!

9. I see from Jim's Discharge Book he was 3rd Butcher on the STRATHMORE from February to July 1941. During this period she was part of a convoy WS7 from the Clyde to Suez via South Africa. Sailing from the Clyde 24 March 1941 arriving at Suez 6 May 1941.

See here for details:

STRATHMORE was a P&O passenger liner converted for trooping and in 1942 took part in the Torch landings in North Africa. I will try and upload some photos later.
  10. Thank's lads, when I told MGM that you lot would come up with all sorts of info I don't think he believed me, so thank you again
  11. STRATHMORE arriving at Tilbury 1961. She was 23428 grt. Built Barrow 1935,

Sold 1963 to Greek owners renamed Marianna Latsi then Henrietta Latsi. Broken up Spezia 1969.

Attached Files:

12. Jim joined MOOLTAN as 3rd Butcher at Liverpool on 12 January 1942 and remained with her until April. MOOLTAN was part of convoy WS16 leaving Liverpool on 16 Febuary 1942 arriving at Durban 21 March 1942. As Jim left the ship at Glasgow in April I assume she must have returned directly from there. She was also involved in the Torch landing later that year. MOOLTAN was another P&O liner which at the start of the war had been converted to an armed merchant cruiser before being reconverted for trooping in 1941. She was built in 1923 by Harland and Wolff at Belfast for P&O, broken up at Faslane in January 1954.

Attached Files:

13. I can't quite make out the next entry in Jim's discharge book but it could be the STRATHAIRD, it looks like he transferd there from the MOOLTAN, both vessels were in Glasgow at he time and formed part of convoy WS19 for South Africa STRATHAIRD arrived in Durban on 9 June before continuing on to Bombay where she arrived on 1 July 1942. I can't make out the details in Jims book but does that look like the dates might fit?

Attached Files:

14. Good stuff Merchantman, I knew someone would come to his assistance.

I did a few years with Elders & Fyffes banana ships following the mob and I watch your posts with interest. Good man.