Service life of the Mk6 Combat Helmet

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by History_Man, Nov 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the Mk6 Combat Helmet have a service life and, if so, what is it? I have asked the RQMS but he does not know. Mine was initially manufactured in 1986 and was issued to me when I joined in 1994. It has never been replaced but it has been dropped, abused, kicked, etc. many times. Any help from Q types would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

2. Don't worry...

If you have to go somewhere you actually NEED a helmet, you will get a new (black) one...
  3. Thanks for that HE117, I would never have worked that one out for myself... At this present time, I am more worried about a 17m mast snapping and landing on my precious suede. My basic question remains - is the integrity of my 22-year-old Mk6 Combat Helmet likely to have compromised by age, wear & tear, etc. and if so, is there a point where I am entitled to a replacement from the QM? H_M.
  4. msr

msr LE

The leather pads must have no padding in them by now.

Just go along and ask for an exchange.

5. ...and the RQ will give you yet another old one, as I have just found out. :evil:
  6. Well if he does not know what chance do you have ?

I don't believe it has a service life, but it should be visibly inspected after any severe impact. (It says by a qualified person, but basically anyone with common sense)

Will have to remove the helmet cover and check for any visible cracks and severe chips.

Grab helmet around rim, pull and push hands together to check that it is not split. If it has a hairline fracture, it will now become apparent.

A periodic check of rubber pads etc should be carried out.
  7. You will just end up getting the pads changed as these are separate items IIRC
  8. In that case it would make much of a difference whether you were wearing the oldest Mk6 in service, or the newest Mk6a...

And unless you've been using it to boil up brews, its unlikely the ballistic protection will be compromised.
  9. You mean, you're not meant to do that?

10. Oh yeah baby, keep it up....
  11. And about now Jarrod will going for his towel :)
  12. as it will no doubt form part of the Personal Protective Equipment that you have been issued ... I am sure there would be no issues with replacing it under reasonable Health and Safety concerns. While bumps and drops will be expected, a serious or significant impact will not always show up through a cursory visual inspection ... I would be very surprised it was not replaced after you explain your concerns and reasons - if they dont and it fails with the result that you are injured guess who is liable.

I wouldnt entirely pu tmy faith in Taffnp's test scenario ... although Im sure his helmet is in pristine condition ;-)
  13. My original Mk6 had a crack in it after it had a slight impact after being knocked from the top of my 436 - took it to the QM's and the duty blanket stacker said, with a smirk, if we ever go to war you'll be able to get a new one - that was around about July/August 1990
    Fast forward a couple of months.....
    1 x new skid lid on issue due to impending deployment to the sandy place.....
  14. Having been shown around the factory where they are made, I was told that they have an indefinite service life. As mentioned above, as long as the composite is not cracked (and believe me, this is pretty hard to do) they will pretty much last for ever.

The liners do wear out of course and if you exchange yours with the RQMS, it will eventually find its way back to the factory for refurbishment and then re-issue. When I visited, there was a great big bin of them waiting to be worked on. My guide, who was a bit of a self-proclaimed Mk6 spotter, could recognise the date of manufacture from the codes on the inside. He proudly showed me one from the first year of manufacture, which he said would be good as new once it had been refurbished.
  15. The shell is fine as long as its not obviously cracked. The trauma liner (the black shiny inner thing) should be in good nick. If its been gouged out or damaged then replace. The pads will be duff by now. Although its the shell and trauma liner that does the work the pads help somewhat and make it comfortable (I know a relative term).

The liner and pad packs are easy to come by. Personally I always replaced the complete thing with a new one for anyone that asked and then returned the old ones (often after crushing them under a tank to ensure they are U\S). Wasteful but convenient.