Service Leaver over 50? Please, register here

Urgent Call for Action
******************************************************************************************************************​

The Officers’ Association (OA) is currently conducting a research project into the employment barriers and challenges faced by 50+ Service Leavers. Importantly, this research covers all ranks and all Services. The OA is particularly interested in hearing from other ranks (as well as officers).

As a part of this project the OA is running focus groups and surveys with any ex-serving personnel who were aged 50 or over at the point when they left the Armed Forces, and also from currently serving personnel who are in transition, if they will be over 50 on the date of discharge.

If this includes you and you are interested in helping, please register your interest here Understanding over 50 Service Leavers.

It is essential that this call reaches as many eligible Service leavers as possible to ensure we have a representative sample and meaningful results. Therefore, if you are not eligible but you know someone who is, please, help us promote Understanding over 50 Service Leavers in your network.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your support.

Polite suggestion, for your research to be meaningful [and not just a whinge fest of "civi's don't appreciate us"] you need to do comparative studies on other groups of people who make a major career change aged over 50. I'd also split this group in two, voluntary change and involuntary change.

Polite suggestion, for your research to be meaningful [and not just a whinge fest of "civi's don't appreciate us"] you need to do comparative studies on other groups of people who make a major career change aged over 50. I'd also split this group in two, voluntary change and involuntary change.
Dear beardyProf,

Many thanks for your suggestion! We have already thought about this aspect - additional to the perspective of Service leavers, we are also getting the employers' perspective (both engaged and non-engaged), as well as comparing Service leavers over 50 to civilians and over 50 Service leavers from a similar population (the Police).

Kind regards and many thanks for your comments, Silviya

"Other ranks". I do so love that condescending little sobriquet.

Fair makes me wants to doff me cloth cap it does, an' all.
I don't fall into the target group for this research, but I do recall meeting a few former commissioned guys in the Middle East when I was CEO of a Saudi Military Hospital. We met at Dhahran military college during an NBC seminar. Their main topic of conversation was 'how did you get this job....you must be earning more than I am". They spoke of difficulties they had in finding good jobs and felt they didn't have the required transferable skills.

Personally I disagreed. What they did have was a tendency to seek suitable employment within the 'club' and few, I think, would consider such jobs as a 'train driver' (see poster above) - not a suitable occupation for continued membership of the 'club'. I am not knocking this, but the social background and pursuit of appropriate status is another variable that might constrain the opportunities for commissioned guys. I found quite a few non-commissioned vets who took the academic route, even though they were older and less formally educated than their fellow students. But it paid off......not quite as much as a 'train driver' though:oops:

When working at Euston for the old BR, I do recollect an Ex-RAF VSO (Possibly Air Vice Marshal) being a train guard on Inter City Routes, but I would imagine he was the exception rather than the rule. :cool:

"Other ranks". I do so love that condescending little sobriquet.

Fair makes me wants to doff me cloth cap it does, an' all.
Dear dogmeat,

I can assure you the only reason we put an emphasis on 'other ranks' is that as we are the Officers' Association, people assume this is an officers only project, which it is not.

In fact, for this reason, we have had very few sign ups from other ranks. We would like to encourage everyone who left Service over 50 and is interested in participating, to take part, so that we capture all perspectives and everyone eligible has the opportunity to have their say.

Silviya

I don't fall into the target group for this research, but I do recall meeting a few former commissioned guys in the Middle East when I was CEO of a Saudi Military Hospital. We met at Dhahran military college during an NBC seminar. Their main topic of conversation was 'how did you get this job....you must be earning more than I am". They spoke of difficulties they had in finding good jobs and felt they didn't have the required transferable skills.

Personally I disagreed. What they did have was a tendency to seek suitable employment within the 'club' and few, I think, would consider such jobs as a 'train driver' (see poster above) - not a suitable occupation for continued membership of the 'club'. I am not knocking this, but the social background and pursuit of appropriate status is another variable that might constrain the opportunities for commissioned guys. I found quite a few non-commissioned vets who took the academic route, even though they were older and less formally educated than their fellow students. But it paid off......not quite as much as a 'train driver' though:oops:

Dear Kinch,

Thank you very much for sharing your view. As you mentioned, there could be many different barriers to employment that Service leavers experience. That's exactly the reason why we would like to get all perspectives from all Services and ranks.

Feel free to pass on the link to anyone who might be eligible.

Silviya

Dear dogmeat,

I can assure you the only reason we put an emphasis on 'other ranks' is that as we are the Officers' Association, people assume this is an officers only project, which it is not.

In fact, for this reason, we have had very few sign ups from other ranks. We would like to encourage everyone who left Service over 50 and is interested in participating, to take part, so that we capture all perspectives and everyone eligible has the opportunity to have their say.

Silviya
<Wipes nose with sleeve>

Gawd bless yer, mum.

I'll let me "Wife of" know to expecks a food parcel for Xmas, shall I?

</Wipes nose with sleeve>

Dear Kinch,

Thank you very much for sharing your view. As you mentioned, there could be many different barriers to employment that Service leavers experience. That's exactly the reason why we would like to get all perspectives from all Services and ranks.

Feel free to pass on the link to anyone who might be eligible.

Silviya
A point I mean to add concerns access to higher education. Many commissioned vets, having already obtained a first degree, but perhaps in the distant past, are thus excluded from many of the financial incentives available to first time undergrads. Non-coms tend to fare better in that respect since they are first timers.

I left prior to turning 50 but have since started a new career post 50 and my age was irrelevant to my new employer.

Do stop being so pathetic.
Welcome to the 21st century. If you're going to attempt to hoover up data for your pet project from a wider field (and assuming the concomitant benefits would only be offered to members of the OA), it would perhaps help your case to examine why you appear not to be engaging with a target audience with whom you don't normally deal.

Referring to non-commissioned veterans as "other ranks" is perhaps systemic of this failure to engage.

Mod warning - don't be a twat, this is a serious thread. I spoke with the OA about this and the research is for the benefit of all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the 21st century. If you're going to attempt to hoover up data for your pet project from a wider field (and assuming the concomitant benefits would only be offered to members of the OA), it would perhaps help your case to examine why you appear not to be engaging with a target audience with whom you don't normally deal.

Referring to non-commissioned veterans as "other ranks" is perhaps systemic of this failure to engage.
I don't have a pet project. And you sound boorish. And the OP quite clearly states

"I can assure you the only reason we put an emphasis on 'other ranks' is that as we are the Officers' Association, people assume this is an officers only project, which it is not."

As I say - boorish. Sorry you have been offended by what was a common expression until around 30 years ago.

chimera

LE
Oh, I'm not offended chum. Just bemused that you (and others) still find the archaic phrase acceptable.
I suppose he could call them "enlisted", which seems to be the new term of the moment.