Service knowledge

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by stripe, Oct 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've been looking over info on the main board and I've seen you get tested on service knowledge. Not my strongest point, this is quite expansive - can anyone give me areas to look at and/or specific examples of questions you receive on this topic?

Cheers,

Stripe

2. SCB

SCB

Buy a book called the British Army. Its a pocket guide and has lots of information. Probably only about £5 from amazon, and also look on the army website for up-to-date information. Hope it helps

3. Great - yep got it ordered.

Thanks

4. Hmm, what would the stock answer for this be, and does it apply to all orders of dress?

5. The clue is in the question - ******* red-tabs!

6. Well the question was the question... I thought it was referring to the red tabs, but didn't specify the order of dress, which left it slightly vague. I just wanted to check there wasn't some hidden nasty gotcha there.

7. Correctly known as gorget patches. **** me, I'd have trouble telling you what I had for tea the night before last, but somehow I remember that!

8. [​IMG]

This is a gorget - a residual piece of armour worn symbolically up until the 19th Century. The red ribbons which retained it around British officers' necks are now symbolized in the gorget-patches:

[​IMG]

worn by GS officers. The white-tabs worn by officer cadets and midshipmen are also gorget patches. Different arms of the service used to wear different colour gorget-patches, e.g. medics wore burgundy, padres black, vets blue, intelligence green. Do they still?

9. I think only PQOs wear other colours nowadays. Doctors burgundy, dentists green, etc. I think the Int Corps wear the standard red.

10. I was given the British Army book by my sponsor. God knows how I'm going to learn all I need to know by the end of November!