Service knowledge

Hi all,

I've been looking over info on the main board and I've seen you get tested on service knowledge. Not my strongest point, this is quite expansive - can anyone give me areas to look at and/or specific examples of questions you receive on this topic?

Cheers,

Stripe

Buy a book called the British Army. Its a pocket guide and has lots of information. Probably only about £5 from amazon, and also look on the army website for up-to-date information. Hope it helps

Hmm, what would the stock answer for this be, and does it apply to all orders of dress?
The clue is in the question - ******* red-tabs!

S

Snoreador

The clue is in the question - ******* red-tabs!
Well the question was the question... I thought it was referring to the red tabs, but didn't specify the order of dress, which left it slightly vague. I just wanted to check there wasn't some hidden nasty gotcha there.

Correctly known as gorget patches. **** me, I'd have trouble telling you what I had for tea the night before last, but somehow I remember that!

This is a gorget - a residual piece of armour worn symbolically up until the 19th Century. The red ribbons which retained it around British officers' necks are now symbolized in the gorget-patches:

worn by GS officers. The white-tabs worn by officer cadets and midshipmen are also gorget patches. Different arms of the service used to wear different colour gorget-patches, e.g. medics wore burgundy, padres black, vets blue, intelligence green. Do they still?

Different arms of the service used to wear different colour gorget-patches, e.g. medics wore burgundy, padres black, vets blue, intelligence green. Do they still?
I think only PQOs wear other colours nowadays. Doctors burgundy, dentists green, etc. I think the Int Corps wear the standard red.