Service Knowledge

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Nailjuice, Jan 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening all,

As main board rapidly approaches and preparation is well underway, I was wondering if any COs or POs could advise me on what sort of questions to expect for the sections on service knowledge and general knowledge.

I have researched into topics such as ranks, badges, formations, abbreviations, weapons & vehicles.

Would anyone have any examples or advice on how to proceed further in this area?

Thanks

2. I'm not a PO or a CO, but somewhere in between (closer to the PO end).

You will get questions in the service knowledge section about anything from the number of active personnel in the armed forces to which brach of the armed forces are likely to operate certain vehicles. You should learn your acronyms for this, as you could get a relatively simple question that you don't understand because you don't know the acronyms (for example, who would operate an AS90? (a) RMP (b) RA (c) RAC (d) AAC).

Have a look at the AOSB thread (in the stickies section).

3. Thanks very much, I appreciate the quick response. I'm glad to hear the questions will be straight forward in theory.

I'll familiarise myself with the more common acronyms and concentrate more on some general facts.

Thanks again.

4. msr

msr LE

5. I have not come across the site before but that's terrific, thank you very much.

6. msr

msr LE

7. We do planning?...

8. It could be a long night... (thanks)

9. msr, would you deem it necessary to be able to fully comprehend these links? From the point of view of a PO, I would be somewhat worried if these were the standards for the service knowledge questions.

10. No, you needn't worry about having quite that much depth of knowledge......

I went to AOSB quite recently, I found this little book quite useful to give you an idea of the structure of the Army and technical stuff about bits of kit etc, http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1844156443/?tag=armrumser-21
    and I found Richard Holmes 'Dusty Warriors' to be a very interesting read.

I can only tell you what I found useful, I am by no means any sort of authority on the subject!

*ed for crap spelling*

11. MKI is the course that you need to do before attending JOTAC (the course required for promotion to captain). The content of the first web page is therefore aimed at lieutenants preparing for the online assessments.

MKII is a course that you need for promotion to major.

Short answer: no, you do not need the majority of the information on these web pages. The British Army pocket guide, as recommended by HH_2, has more than enough information for AOSB. Buy it and read it.

12. That's valuable information, thank you both. I have just ordered the pocket book on Amazon.

With regards to the general knowledge questions, what sort of things can I expect to be asked?

13. Again, pretty much covered in the sticky, and also.............

The clue is in the name: General knowledge. Could be anything.

You really shouldn't stress so much!

As has been pointed out to me: you don't actually need to read all the pointers on ARRSE to pass AOSB, in fact if you pay too much attention to it all you'll probably get yourself far too worried! As far as my limited experience allows me to comment, what you were told at briefing should be all you need to know to be able to succesfully prepare for main board. That is the purpose of the briefing after all!

There must be plenty of people who go to AOSB who have no idea what ARRSE is and if they can manage to prepare on what they have been told via official sources and advice from their sponsor so can you, just relax :D.

14. Read a decent broadsheet (or two for balance). Glance at the Sun for the oh so informative "News in Briefs" section. Listen to Radio 4 in the morning for a month before your main board and you can't go far wrong.

15. I've heard the Page Three girl called many things over the years, but not that particular one! Pretty accurate name, though! :D

Litotes