Service Invaliding Pension

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by Jodie1982, Sep 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. My husband has been Medically Discharged and his date of discharge is in December. We wrote a letter to SPVA and have just received a Forecast of Benefits. There is a Service Invaliding Pension with an amount per annum and then there is an Invaliding Terminal Grant with an amount.

    Is this different to his normal pension and the lump sum he will be getting when he's been discharged? Sorry if its a stupid question :/
  2. Or even if somebody could tell me this, I would be grateful - Is it possible to be in receipt of two different pensions when discharged from the Army?
  3. When a pension is awarded from either AFpS 75 or AFPS 75, there is automatically a lump sum of three times the pension.

    Normally an individual would have to give a certain amount of reckonable service (For AFPS 75 22 yrs for an OR or 16 yrs for an officer) or reach a certain age (55yr old in AFPS 05) for the pension to be paid immediately. The exception is where the individual is medically retired. People who do not meet the criteria for a pension paid immediately, but have given more than 2 yrs reckonable service, get a preserved pension payable at 60 or 65, depending upon scheme.

    The SIP is an ill health pension paid to AFPS 75 members who are medically discharged. It increases each year in line with the agreed inflation measure (currently the Consumer Prices Index). It represents your husband's entitlement under the scheme - this means that there is no further Armed Forces Pension for him to claim at a later date - although, if his condition is due to service or made worse by service, he may be entitled to money from the War Pension Scheme or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. SPVA will consider him for this automatically as part of the discharge procedure.

    If you have an specific questions, send me a PM and I will do what I can to help.