• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Service invaliding pension question

exreme1 said:
:?:

To cut a long story short i was medically discharged from the Reme in early 2005 after completing 4 years service. I was told i was to receive a service invalidating pension (SIP) and from the month after discharge i have received this every month, the SIP rising every year by a few pounds.

I have recently fallen on bad times due to the 'credit crunch' and lost my job so i have had to sign up for jobseekers allowance,after reviewing my case the jobcentre have decided that i am only entitled to 8.29 per week jobseekers allowance due to me recieving the above SIP.

My questions are:

1) Should my SIP be taken into account when the jobcentre are assessing my entitlement?

2) Is there anyway i could cash in my SIP which i believe i will get until i am 65 (another 38 years) in return for a lump sum which i could really do with right now?

Kind Regards

Exreme1
Welcome to the site, Exreme1, and I sympathise with your current plight. I doubt that any of us on here will know enough to help you although there is a long running thread on such pensions - in the Charities Forum, IIRC.

The people who can best help you are the British Legion and/or SSAFA. They will have lots of expertise with queries like yours. Look in the telephone directory for their numbers.

Good Luck.

Litotes

Latest Threads