Service Inquiry (formerly Board of Inquiry) - questions

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Dec 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've to attend a Service Inquiry next year. Can anyone advise me on how these are run? How do witnesses give evidence? What's the format? etc etc. I've no experience of BOIs or SIs, so would appreciate any advice from those who have run / attended them, either public or by PM.

2. The two I have attended were run more like Orders than Courts Martial. Held in private with only the Board incl secretary and the witnesses in the room, if memory serves I had the option to give evidence under oath or not. I was asked about the incidents gave my evidence answered a few questions (all whilst I was seated), clarified a few minor points marched out. The Boards were quite relaxed and no Court Room drama just fact, figures thanked marched out. All a few years ago now but hope this helps.
  3. Just remember the phrase, "Flanders pidgeon murderer" and you will be fine. Hope that helps.
  4. When you say 'attend' - are you part of the team or are you giving a statement / evidence?
  5. i'm giving evidence, not a member of the board.
  6. bump for Monday morning.
  7. If you have not already received the letter requesting that you attend the Service Inquiry (containing guidance for witnesses), you might wish to read Chapter 3 of JSP 832
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I was (eventually) ushered into a room with 3 officers sat behind a desk, and one chair the other side for me. There was also a stenographer taking notes. I was in a suit so no saluting or military walking required.

I was asked to tell them my recollection of the events in question, and they then asked me a number of questions. The questions concerned inconsistencies between my version of events and those of other people whose statements had been taken earlier.

As per cbgramc, it was relatively relaxed and all about getting the information they needed rather than a grilling.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Almost identical experience regarding a 'Larkhill overshoot'. Suited, and emphasis on obtaining the correct information and order of events.
  10. thanks very much for that link, extremely useful.