Service Flags - Recognition for employers etc

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by BuggerAll, Nov 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

In the US families and organization that have a member deployed can display a service flag ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_flag ).

Should we have something similar here? Could employers be issued with a flag or badge that shows that they have an employee deployed?

Anyone from Sabre care to comment.

2. Lovely thought, in a society that publicly values its armed forces and has the balls to flick two fingers at political nutters and left-wingers.

So maybe not then :roll:

3. msr

msr LE

Why not speak to your ROSO and see if you can get some regimental mug / pens / mousemats etc?

msr

Attached Files:

4. Well that attitude isnt going to change any perceptions either. :roll:

5. i was goin to say exactly the same thing, if you put a flag up in my area at your office you would have a line of protestors there in the mornin, employers just don't want to be political and want to seem PC at all times, however being self employed i wouldn't give a fcuk

6. And the point to flying the flag would be??

We are British and should not implement septic practices here thank you very much.

7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

What - Are 'we' so far up our own arrseholes that 'we' should dismiss an idea because Americans had it first. Personally I would prefer to judge ideas on their merits.

Previous posters are correct: There are companies who would not wish to display such a flag for whatever reason, but there might also be employers who would be proud to support what their employees are doing and proud to say so.

Of course that would not be the British way would it: 'We' prefer to belittle people and sneer at them.

8. when i went out to the hot sandy place a few years ago my mum had a picture of me in the window with a yellow ribbon over the corner. im guessing thats the same thing ?

9. In an economic downturn, with increasing unemployment (2.5m by mid 2009?), pressure on the bottom line and total commitment required from employees to support the business, I can see that membership of the TA and subsequent mobilisation may not exactly be flavour of the month for the majority of employers....

any such flag may be to signal farewell rather than pride in the future...

cynical? moi?

10. msr

msr LE

But the flip side may be more unemployed people volunteering for a tour....

11. But with caus in the TA and defence over the horizon, I can't see it happening. I expect Brown to announce further reduction in numbers ASAP to help pay off the 100's of billions we now owe. You'd think it would make sense to increase the size and reduce unemployment...

12. quote]

What - Are 'we' so far up our own arrseholes that 'we' should dismiss an idea because Americans had it first. Personally I would prefer to judge ideas on their merits.

Previous posters are correct: There are companies who would not wish to display such a flag for whatever reason, but there might also be employers who would be proud to support what their employees are doing and proud to say so.

Of course that would not be the British way would it: 'We' prefer to belittle people and sneer at them.
    [/quote]

I'm not belittling or snearing, I just dont see the point to flying flags. Its not the fact that the Americans had the idea first it is the whole American way of doing things that I don't think is right for us. The veterans baseball cap wearing, bumper sticker sporting flag waving "look at me I am serving/have seved my country" attitude that seems to prevail in the US just doesn't do it for me, that's all.