Service dress for the TA

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by libod, Aug 20, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I have recently been commissioned into a TA inf Bn. I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer as my unit are all on their summer leave.

1. I have just had to fork out for a service dress cap where do i get the leather band and buttons from?

2. Again ref SD, do i have to buy pips or does my unit issuse these?

3. Finally, I heard a rumor that there is a grant/alownce type thing that you get to cover the substanial cost of this and mess dress. Does anyone know if this is true and if so how do i go about applying for it?
  2. There is an allowance - you have to apply for it though. Use Form O1672 from your PSAO, or armynet. Pips you may have to get yourself, or may be issued, depending on your unit. If you have to get them yourself, Gieves & Thieves etc do them - for a price.
  3. You'll have to buy most of the kit.

What is your cap badge?

Band should have come with the hat. ORs buttons will suffice - have a word with your QPSI.

Rethe allowance - It's about £300 up front and £12 per annum thereafter.

It comes through automatically and does not have to be applied for. Be thankful you're not a Green Jacket - Mess kit, No1 Dress, and service dress would set you back about £4K
  4. try Highland kit - £4k for mess kit alone....
  5. That'sone hell of an expensive skirt
  6. the kit only costs £50 - the rest is the mess fine for wearing underwear :lol: - you have no idea how itchy it is without!
  7. Thanks for that. Back on to Goldings for the band. Pay a fortune and its not complete! makes you mad dosen't it?
  8. Why on earth do we in the TA need Service dress/Mess dress/Barrack Dress?

Its expensive and you wear it once a year if you're lucky!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Once in a career more like. All the parades are now in CS95.
  10. London Regt parades in Service Dress/No 2 dress (and No1 dress in the case of the RGJ Coys) as they have numerous ceremonial duties to perform.

London Regt also has a very healthy internal and external mess and social life. Officers can expect to wear mess dress on about six occasions annually, the company commanders more often than that.
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I stand corrected, but 90% of the TA would be lucky to use their SD more than once a year. :D
  12. My old UOTC unit used to wear theirs on average three times a year and from recent conversations this still stands....
  13. received reduced allowance.

was ment to be issued 2's hasn't happened
    bought what i could but a mess kit at £1900 is a little excessive for 1 dinner at camp a year.
  14. Venture forth hence and acquire thyself a mess-oriented social life! Mess kit is great for wooing women/blokes*, if you require a further incentive. All you need to do is acquire some mates in the HAC, OTC, regular Army, etc., and go to their mess-kit-wearing events.

I feel let down if I haven't squeezed myself into my spiffing outfit (Dege & Skinner, thanks) at least five or six times a year: this year, five times so far with the Christmas party season to go.

By the way, D&S let impoverished subalterns pay in instalments over two years.

PS This advice is free but really shouldn't be. I mean, I'm a frikkin busy megalomaniac and time is money.

* Delete as appropriate.