Service Complaints - are they worth a carrot?

Many is the time I've frowned on someone pulling the stress card in my eyes, but it's not always as clear cut.

I remember wondering how a guy that served in an operational theatre, dozens if not hundreds of miles from the shooty-bit, could possibly be suffering from PTSD a decade later. The thing I hadn't considered was firstly the individual had a different outlook to me and was relatively timid by nature. Secondly the threat of unexpected and sudden violence, albeit less likely was enough to hit the tipping point.

There'll always be fraudsters but it'd be a bit iffy to treat all people with mental health issues, for example, as a fraud....until they prove otherwise and top themselves.
sometimes it's not clear cut, the majority of the time it is. Like physical injuries, the "patient" miraculously recovers when there is fun stuff to be done but suffers a relapse when there are shite taskings.
In my experience those who really are suffering try to fight through, while the blagging cnuts get a free ride.

sometimes it's not clear cut, the majority of the time it is. Like physical injuries, the "patient" miraculously recovers when there is fun stuff to be done but suffers a relapse when there are shite taskings.
In my experience those who really are suffering try to fight through, while the blagging cnuts get a free ride.
That's always been the way. IIRC it used to be "I can't do duties, I can't sit/stand for extended periods of time".

That's always been the way. IIRC it used to be "I can't do duties, I can't sit/stand for extended periods of time".
when I joined up the sickies had shin splints, back/knees for a brief period, then NFCIs and now the biff holy grail of mental problems.

Agreed. Not commenting on the specific case, but having a family connection with the medical profession should, if anything, make one all the more wary of discounting a professional diagnosis [as opposed to individuals trying to play the PTSD card without a professional diagnosis].
Sort of off topic, yet on topic:

My Mother in Law is a retired GP, and years ago had a phone call on the house phone, whilst we were sat having dinner. Unfortunately my Father in Law (a thrifty, plain spoken Derbyshireman (also a Doctor, but not of medicine)) answered the phone as he does, by stating the family surname - and was asked: "Doctor, I'm so worried, my wife and I have just eaten most of a large Pork Pie and we've just noticed it's mouldy inside", my F-I-L replied "Well, I should take it back if I were you." and promptly hung up - he then looked across contemplatively at my wife and I , then towards my M-I-L, gave a wry laugh and said, "I think that call was for the proper Doctor".

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As soon as someone tries to play the stress card get them medically examined , keep a meticulous diary of events and if cunning quietly check their travel claims for irregularitiies!!

As soon as someone tries to play the stress card get them medically examined , keep a meticulous diary of events and if cunning quietly check their travel claims for irregularitiies!!
That would seriously be your reaction to a subordinate reporting or exhibiting signs of stress?

There is some good training at the Defence Academy called START taking control which is about self stress management.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That would seriously be your reaction to a subordinate reporting or exhibiting signs of stress?
A defensive ploy to keep a diary , a definite medical issue for MO not an unqualified peson to assess and the last was a tongue in cheek ace in the hole if they are pulling a fast one. If genuine it's a medically driven issue

Went out in 1966 to search for German Submarine Hai which was Submiss. Spent over three weeks on a Ton class sweeper. Ran out of food apart from bully and biscuits and had to endure heavy seas with a high percentage of crew incapacitated by sea-sickness. When we got back to Inverkeithing I asked for a complaint to FOSNI that we should have been relieved far earlier or resupplied at sea and that the ship had been placed in some danger due to number of bods running the ship, lack of food and possibility of running out of fuel and fresh water. I was told not to be so bloody silly and get on. I would hope that in today's enlightened navy that complaints would be treated with some respect, even if they come from junior ranks. :cool:

Must admit I roll my eyes and think fcuk off, as soon as someone mentions PTSD.
A lad I know has PTSD. Doesn't make a big song and dance about it, in his words
" It is what it is and I just have to get on with life and not let it take over"

That said , he is a permanently angry bastard unless he's tending to his flowers. Planted all the flower holders in our part of the village. It's the only time he seems to not want to tear anyone's head off. He's a nice bloke, he just has a few issues to deal with.

He doesn't milk it, doesn't play on it, doesn't have a Woe is me attitude to it. He wishes he didn't have it, so does his Mrs . Her attitude to it is Shit happened when he was in the Army, I'm supporting him as best I can.

A lad I know has PTSD. Doesn't make a big song and dance about it, in his words
" It is what it is and I just have to get on with life and not let it take over"

That said , he is a permanently angry bastard unless he's tending to his flowers. Planted all the flower holders in our part of the village. It's the only time he seems to not want to tear anyone's head off. He's a nice bloke, he just has a few issues to deal with.

He doesn't milk it, doesn't play on it, doesn't have a Woe is me attitude to it. He wishes he didn't have it, so does his Mrs . Her attitude to it is Shit happened when he was in the Army, I'm supporting him as best I can.
My rule of thumb is that if someone constantly bleats about their PTSD they are usually bluffing. I just step aside and let them get on with it, I don’t have time for people who don’t have the balls to be honest.

A defensive ploy to keep a diary , a definite medical issue for MO not an unqualified peson to assess and the last was a tongue in cheek ace in the hole if they are pulling a fast one. If genuine it's a medically driven issue
The doctors have to believe what they are told from the blagging cnuts, although they dont always help themselves by falling for every bullshit story.

A good mate of mine has a potential bullying complaint lodged against them by a person who they have functional authority over but equally has a potential future complaint against their own immediate superior over micro-management.

Talk about a mind-fcuk

My rule of thumb is that if someone constantly bleats about their PTSD they are usually bluffing. I just step aside and let them get on with it, I don’t have time for people who don’t have the balls to be honest.
That's exactly what this lad is like. Doesn't bleat about it , just gets his head down and cracks on with things.

People naturally assume I have PTSD, I’ve had one or two strange reactions when I tell people I don’t.

We're not taught how to manage our workload and manage individuals with mental health issues, in fact we're not taught to manage full stop. I'd be interested in the direction Tesco etc gives its managers.
I think a lot of places are still trying to adapt and figure out how best to manage it since it has become more acceptable to actually open up about it rather than drink yourself into oblivion, beat the shit out of your wife or kill yourself in the shed.

The company I work for has a system called Stream which my union rep urged me to use, it asks a series of questions and gives a result which gets fed back to a senior manager who is required to pretty much drop everything and contact you to arrange a one to one if the result gives a red indicator. They also have an employee helpline based outside of the company which can arrange for counselling paid for by the company. They are surprisingly good when it comes to mental health, probably because they don't want to get dragged into court.

Whilst understandably things will slip through the net and mistakes will be made, to flat out mock someone and say mental health does not exist is completely unacceptable.

I don't know if you're fishing for a funny or being entirely serious.

Last edited:

Latest Threads