service commado badges

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Green_Garfield, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've noticed guys who have pasted the AACC wearing the royal marines shoulder badge but saying "army commando" or "royal navy commando"

does everyone who passes the course get these badges to wear because i've seen people with the underwear knife fighting badge and no shoulder flash.

can someone clear this up for me?

2. Commando qualified RN personnel do wear the "Royal Navy Commando" shoulder flash.

My corps (Sigs) dress rules don't mention a "Army Commando" flash and have just the qual badge. Other corps and the dropshorts may have different rules and if you are actually serving with 40/42/45 (as opposed to an Army unit tasked in support of the RM), the booties may have a local rule regarding the flash.

3. The badges, as far as I know are still unofficial, and were worn by Army personnel who passed the All Arms Commando Course. I saw them during the handover/takeover of HERRICK 5 and 6. I was told it was so that they didn't feel out of place as the Booties had Royal Marine Commando flashes on their arms. I would have thought the knife would have sufficed. There were various Arty and Gurkha types wandering around Bastion with them on both shoulders.

4. Not to forget the green lid although I'll admit this is less visible when you have a helmet on. Why not encourage everybody qualified to grow an enthusiastic moustache?

5. The truth is that `someone` had a brain fart and decided to set the ball in motion for the lads wearing them once they had passed AACC and serving in a CDO unit! Its the same old story i`m afraid, people in high places trying to make names for themselves! The lads all think they are total chip shop and most refuse to wear them.

6. Wow, O2 thief in five posts!

Good effort!

7. I was under the impression that it was only 1 RIFLES that wore the 'Army Commando' rockers - and only after passing the AACC. Everyone else who's passed wears the dagger. This is not to be confused with the 3 Bde TRF, which all attached personnel wear, regardless of whether they've been to CTCRM.

As for the Andrew? RN Commandos have been around for yonks: Royal Navy Commando rockers, green lid and RN capbadges.

8. [​IMG]

Didn't realise they still used other Commando titles besides the RM one.

9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

RN have always worn one, well at least for the last 30 years since I was there.

10. Correct, I have seen some of my dads (ex- RM) photos from the 70's, and there are several Navy commandos in them sporting exactly that.

11. Don't bother, reading his 5 posts you can see he is a professional prick.

12. Can we deduce from this photo that Jesus is serving as a radiographer with 3 Cdo Bde??

13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Photo of Lbdr James Dwyer KIA 27 December 2006 with his Army Commando shoulder title:

[​IMG]

14. I really think it's about time they dispensed with the RM/Army/RN Commando tabs and everyone that has qualified for the Green Lid use a "Commando" flash. When I was RN Cdo over 45 years ago I wore RN Commando, When Army Cdo I wore no recognition apart from the beret until the dagger when it was finally brought in.