Service Attributal Pension AND a Service Injury/Invalidity P

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by kennys-go-nad, Jun 25, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help this old ex soldier with advice on this subject

Please can anyone confirm if after getting a medical discharge and eventually getting a pension,(I still dont know how they worked it out)
    If a Please can anyone confirm if after getting a medical discharge and eventually getting a pension,(I still dont know how they worked it out)
    If a Service Attributal Pension AND a Service Injury/Invalidity Pension are payed together or do they come as TWO seperate payments.I have been told 3 differant stories 1 I get both together. 2 I only get a Service Attrib Pension 3 I only get a Service Injury/Ivalidity Pension.I am so pissed off, but an answer to my question will really help big time.are payed together or do they come as TWO seperate payments.I have been told 3 differant stories 1 I get both together. 2 I only get a Service Attrib Pension 3 I only get a Service Injury/Ivalidity Pension.I am so pissed off, but an answer to my question will really help big time.

He posted his request here
    http://www.dream-tool.com/tools/messages.mv?index+brownenvelope

2. This is very complicated stuff, and there is no definitive answer, as Pensions are highly individual things, especially in the circumstances you have outlined above.

However, here is a generic answer to your question.

1. If a soldier is MD'd (after a minimum of 2 years service) he/she becomes eligible for a Service Invalidity pension.

2. The soldier's paperwork is then passed to the Veterans' Agency, who then consider whether the soldier's injuries are directly attributable to his/her service.

3. If it is considered that they are, the Veterans' Agency can:

i. Make an additional payment from within their own resources, as a monthly lump sum.

ii. Pass the paperwork back to the Army for further assessment.

4. In the case of 3ii above, the Army will then assess the situation, and if they agree with the Veterans' Agency, transfer the soldier onto the Service Attributable Pension scheme (if this constitutes a greater sum of money).

5. If a soldier's injuries are assessed to be directly attributable to service, then all pension payments are non-taxable.

A surprisingly large number of non-taxable pensions are paid to former servicemen and women, who have been forced to leave the Forces due to incurred injuries.

To answer the question: you get one payment or the other, as per the guidleines above.

3. Post amended - glad to help (as ever!) :D