Server problems?

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by RCSignals, Nov 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quite often lately I get the fol error when trying to access the forums or gallery

2. Join the club- happens about 6 times a day.

3. :? :? Yep...just happened to me twice. Thought that it was my PC initally, just installed new firewall and feared the worst :(

4. It's being addressed. Sorted in a couple of weeks apparently.

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

First thing: Sorry.

Second thing (copied from the mods' forum):

A very full answer. Stop reading when bored:

The problem comes if more than 45 people request a page within 2 or 3 seconds of each other, more or less. The database won't allow more 'connections' and you get the error message.

The problem is that we're overloaded again - now 170 - 200 people online is common. A few months we sorted out the site speed by splitting the load onto two (slowish) servers and cured the same problem, but with around 130 online at the peak. I didn't realise we would run in to the same problems again so quickly.

The problem should be sorted within a couple of weeks as at the weekend we ordered roughly 2000 pounds worth of very fast server and installation. The site will still run on two servers, but the database will run on this Uber-server, allow a lot more page requests (ie database connections) and process them much faster. I'm hoping for a dramatic speed difference when the site is busy, and a significant one when it isn't.

6. Good CO, a quick question:

When I try to access ARRSE via my favourites or the HTTP addy I often get the same message.

If I access it via pages visited in my history log then BOOM I'm straight in, no worries.

Strange. The only problem is not hitting some of the other, er, esoteric entries in my history log by mistake :D

V!

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Mmmm.............. nope, you got me stumped. What was the question anyway :)?

8. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

I had the same problem but have another one . Sometimes i have to try and log on about 6 or 7 times before i get on. Every time it happens it just returns to user name and password.
    I thought it was me being stupid my mrs said it was so she tried and had the same problem.
    Any ideas?

9. Running on oracle 8i then ?

10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

MySQL. We'll be able to raise that number of connections into the hundreds with the new server.

11. When will the server be here?

keep getting
    ERROR
    The connection to the database server failed, sorry for the inconvenience

We should be back shortly

Edit to say May sound weird but useing firefox now and I got no problems also faster 8O

12. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Unfortunately we can't just magic new equipment up but it should be here in the next week or so. This is just as frustrating for us as it is for you .....

13. pmsl@BadCO - the near 5million hits a month suggest that your understanding nature is misplaced my dear Col. The problem is mildly irritating at certain times of day but ARRSE still remains the best show in town and - if it was me - I would only accept complaints attached to a donation (Poet - gentle hint there) :lol:

14. Nice dig Abacus :) I'm getting about one connection from 10 attempts at the moment but as you say, it's always worth the wait.

15. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

The error message is a great idea. My boss keeps catching me with it on the screen and I explain that the DII system is down. He's then doubly impressed when I produce the reports/etc he requires because he thinks I'm battling technology as well as a deadline. Can I suggest, as other sites do, that we have a "Bang Out" button at the bottom of the screen. Make it big and red, so when authority comes round to see what we're doing, we click on it and the screen becomes a staff table with something military looking and important on it.