Seriously thinking about joining the TA in bristol

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Neil.Larsen, May 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

I'm currently 18 and the idea of being in the army has been niggling at me for the past 1-2 years.

I'm starting college in september and my girlfriend is completely against me joining the regulars, so TA it is.

I'm wanting to do the year training in the TA while I'm at college, and then I'd think I would volunteer for deployment after. Is that possible? It'd be a complete kick in the face if I was to be compulsoraly mobilized while at college.

I haven't told my girlfriend yet that I'm thinking about volunteering for mobilization because the thought of me training as a soldier even in bristol is enough to send her crying....

The regiment in Bristol that I'm thinking of joining is either the 100 Field Squadron Royal Engineers or the 39 Signal Regiment, I'll have to find out more indepth about the specific roles they train ( I was really hoping for armourer but was told that was only in the regulars). If anyone has any first hand experience of any of these 2 regiments that would be great.

I hope this thread makes sense, at the moment I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to even allow me to join the TA which is getting tedious now so I'll edit if I remember anything I need asking heh.

Cheers in advance

2. So you need permission of a girlie to join do you?

Ya soft coont!!!!

3. There is no such thing as compulsory mobilisation at the moment - you have to stick your hand up if you want to go. You volunteer, and then they compulsorily mobilise you - geddit?

39 Sigs is a good Regiment and will get you through your training with ease.

As for the girlfriend crying.....hmmm, she's going to have to get used to it (or not!).

have you thought about a commission - and the Officers Training Corps?

4. 266 in Clifton are a good bunch.Commando Battery now.I was with them when I was out.

5. I can only talk from my time with the Signal Regiment. Its a cracking unit and always looking for right person. I take it you have already found the Signal Regitment Website which is here if not (http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/39sigregt/). The website has the recruiting telephone number on it which is worth giving them a ring. The guy on the other end of the phone is very approachable and you could come in for a chat to see if its for you.

Joining the TA is not something that you should take lightly and is like most things, you only get out what you get in.

6. Whoever told you that is talking balls.

There is no reason why you can’t train as a armourer if that is what you want to do.
    TA Coys have bang sticks too :D

7. Yeh I've been on their website, but I couldn't find any info on what specific roles they train though?

Do you guys know the roles trained at those two regiments? Its good to know they're both good and professional.

And also, If I do phone them and ask for an informal chat about their regiment, how soon after can I look at getting into training?

8. Really?? I emailed the armyjobs.mod about that and they said its regular army only! hmmmm

If they really do train that in the TA then Im almost deffinately gonna apply for that regiment then

9. Oh and by the way, why am i seeing 2 different regiments under the same postcode :

Combat (Artillery) (3.4 Miles)
    266 Parachute Battery 100 Regiment Royal Artillery

and

Engineering (3.4 Miles)
    100 Field Squadron Royal Engineers

it has the website for the artillery one but not one for the engineering one unfortunately ( which is where I'm assuming the Armourer is trained)

10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Almost never the best course of action. Usually far better to phone the unit direct and see what they offer / arrange a visit.

Best of luck.

11. Armourers would come under the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and would be attachments to 266 or the Engineer Squadron if there was a vacancy, but would not be trained as Armourers by the Royal Engineers.

12. Armourer would be a REME trade not Royal Engineers.

13. I guess they really want regular soldiers then? sheesh

Anyway thanksfor info! thats made me dead cert. on joining if they do train that role, its the easiest to get to as well.

How soon could I start training by the way if I phone them and ask for a visit?

14. To train as amourer I think you'd have to find a REME TA unit.