• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Seriously thinking about joining the TA in bristol

#1
Hi all.

I'm currently 18 and the idea of being in the army has been niggling at me for the past 1-2 years.

I'm starting college in september and my girlfriend is completely against me joining the regulars, so TA it is.

I'm wanting to do the year training in the TA while I'm at college, and then I'd think I would volunteer for deployment after. Is that possible? It'd be a complete kick in the face if I was to be compulsoraly mobilized while at college.

I haven't told my girlfriend yet that I'm thinking about volunteering for mobilization because the thought of me training as a soldier even in bristol is enough to send her crying....

The regiment in Bristol that I'm thinking of joining is either the 100 Field Squadron Royal Engineers or the 39 Signal Regiment, I'll have to find out more indepth about the specific roles they train ( I was really hoping for armourer but was told that was only in the regulars). If anyone has any first hand experience of any of these 2 regiments that would be great.

I hope this thread makes sense, at the moment I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to even allow me to join the TA which is getting tedious now so I'll edit if I remember anything I need asking heh.

Cheers in advance
 
#2
Neil.Larsen said:
Hi all.

I'm currently 18 and the idea of being in the army has been niggling at me for the past 1-2 years.

I'm starting college in september and my girlfriend is completely against me joining the regulars, so TA it is.

I'm wanting to do the year training in the TA while I'm at college, and then I'd think I would volunteer for deployment after. Is that possible? It'd be a complete kick in the face if I was to be compulsoraly mobilized while at college.

I haven't told my girlfriend yet that I'm thinking about volunteering for mobilization because the thought of me training as a soldier even in bristol is enough to send her crying....

The regiment in Bristol that I'm thinking of joining is either the 100 Field Squadron Royal Engineers or the 39 Signal Regiment, I'll have to find out more indepth about the specific roles they train ( I was really hoping for armourer but was told that was only in the regulars). If anyone has any first hand experience of any of these 2 regiments that would be great.

I hope this thread makes sense, at the moment I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to even allow me to join the TA which is getting tedious now so I'll edit if I remember anything I need asking heh.

Cheers in advance
So you need permission of a girlie to join do you?

Ya soft coont!!!!
 
#3
There is no such thing as compulsory mobilisation at the moment - you have to stick your hand up if you want to go. You volunteer, and then they compulsorily mobilise you - geddit?

39 Sigs is a good Regiment and will get you through your training with ease.

As for the girlfriend crying.....hmmm, she's going to have to get used to it (or not!).

have you thought about a commission - and the Officers Training Corps?
 
#5
I can only talk from my time with the Signal Regiment. Its a cracking unit and always looking for right person. I take it you have already found the Signal Regitment Website which is here if not (http://www.army.mod.uk/royalsignals/39sigregt/). The website has the recruiting telephone number on it which is worth giving them a ring. The guy on the other end of the phone is very approachable and you could come in for a chat to see if its for you.

Joining the TA is not something that you should take lightly and is like most things, you only get out what you get in.
 
G

Goku

Guest
#6
Neil.Larsen said:
I was really hoping for armourer but was told that was only in the regulars
Whoever told you that is talking balls.

There is no reason why you can’t train as a armourer if that is what you want to do.
TA Coys have bang sticks too :D
 
#7
Yeh I've been on their website, but I couldn't find any info on what specific roles they train though?

Do you guys know the roles trained at those two regiments? Its good to know they're both good and professional.

And also, If I do phone them and ask for an informal chat about their regiment, how soon after can I look at getting into training?
 
#8
Goku said:
Whoever told you that is talking balls.

There is no reason why you can’t train as a armourer if that is what you want to do.
TA Coys have bang sticks too :D
Really?? I emailed the armyjobs.mod about that and they said its regular army only! hmmmm

If they really do train that in the TA then Im almost deffinately gonna apply for that regiment then
 
#9
Oh and by the way, why am i seeing 2 different regiments under the same postcode :

Combat (Artillery) (3.4 Miles)
266 Parachute Battery 100 Regiment Royal Artillery

and

Engineering (3.4 Miles)
100 Field Squadron Royal Engineers

it has the website for the artillery one but not one for the engineering one unfortunately ( which is where I'm assuming the Armourer is trained)
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#10
Neil.Larsen said:
Really?? I emailed the armyjobs.mod about that and they said its regular army only! hmmmm

Almost never the best course of action. Usually far better to phone the unit direct and see what they offer / arrange a visit.

Best of luck.
 
#11
Armourers would come under the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and would be attachments to 266 or the Engineer Squadron if there was a vacancy, but would not be trained as Armourers by the Royal Engineers.
 
#13
I guess they really want regular soldiers then? sheesh

Anyway thanksfor info! thats made me dead cert. on joining if they do train that role, its the easiest to get to as well.

How soon could I start training by the way if I phone them and ask for a visit?
 
G

Goku

Guest
#16
STAB_2B said:
To train as amourer I think you'd have to find a REME TA unit.
He could join any unit with a slot for an armourer and they’d send him to SEME for his trade training.
 
#18
Neil.Larsen said:
How soon could I start training by the way if I phone them and ask for a visit?
I phoned my local REME place a couple of weeks ago, and they invited me to a recruiting night, which is tomorrow. I guess you'd have a similar thing.
 

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
#19
Neil,

You need to join the Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers (REME) for the armourer trade. Most units will have a REME attachment, especially if there's a HQ unit at the TA Centre.

Go ask your local units if they have any REME vacancies and don't be fobbed off with "You can join as a Gunner/Signalman and transfer later". The REME detachment may not have a slot for an armourer and you may have to trade initially as a VM (vehicle mechanic) or the like, but I've heard of many a REME VM who has dual-traded as an armourer.

Point for you to consider though; you've mentioned a desire to mobilise. Would you really want to deploy to Iraq/Afghanistan for six months just to sit in the armoury back at base checking/servicing rifles? Not for a minute denigrating the lads and lasses who perform such vital tasks, but is that really how you want to spend your tour? It's one thing for a Regular bod, after all that's their career, but a young lad like you joining up for Fun, Travel & Adventure might want to consider the Infantry.

Go and see A Company, 6th Battalion, The Rifles at The Artillery Grounds, Whiteladies Road, Bristol, BS8 2LG. The stuff they do is much more fun, the chances for deployment on operational tours are infinitely better and the of course the uniform is far sexier thus guaranteeing (in the regrettable event of present GF having a hissy-fit) that you will be able to bag yourself any Sanger-Banger within a 20 metre radius by the cosmic pull-power of the Rifle Green beret.

Honest!
 
#20
Will do mate, will give them a call, to be honest with you the armourer role is the only 'engineering' role I'd consider.

I'd be happy to repair weapons etc, I love messing around with my air rifle at home ( not to sound like a mindless thug ), I would love to be an infantryman though. But I have to make some compromises since my girlfriend is sadly very much against it.

I'm not so much FOCUSED on deployment, I wouldn't mind the training and adventuring aspect of normal TA training, but obviously as I get further into it the chance of me wanting to deploy could be pretty high.

What would I be doing if I got deployed in the IT/comms regiment? Would I be most likely frontline or back at base giving intel?
 

Latest Threads