Seriously considering joining up.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Wannabetom, Dec 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I'll try to keep this short and sweet, last year I wanted to join up so badly. I was training everynight and reading up as much info as I could, a lot of it off this site actually. So my heart was set on joining the paras but and I know this may sound like a bad excuse. My grandfather passed away and i've had a lot on my case with the current economic climate, then my family, who was full of nothing but support for the idea, suddenly didn't want me to go. Im now working as a security guard and I just feel miserable, everytime I see anything remotely to do with the military I feel as though im missing out.

I don't know how to break it to them but Im going to go down the AFCO this week. Im just scared because I don't want people thinking im doing it selfishly, if you know what I mean. Im 19 by the way. Does it sound like my hearts into it?
  2. Get down the ACIO and find out.
  3. Mucker, do it. You'll never look back (unless you regret it) :)

A grand spending money a month with your food and accommodation already paid for! And you get to shoot at naughty muslims as well. Better than civvy street!
  4. With regards to your family dont 'break it to them' just go in and do it. If you really want to join, take the bull by the horns and walk into the AFCO tomorrow, otherwise you will languish in a shiitty job for the rest of your days just wondering 'what if?' You can tell your family once you have got some proper advice form the staff in the AFCO and then you can make a balanced judgement as to whether you really want to join.
  5. There are a few other threads with the same title if you use the search function.

So you feel as though you are missing out and you say: "I don't know how to break it to them."

6. Go for it mate.
    Sounds like you really want it. Its your life and your decision. I am finally reapplying after having doubts wheather to or not but now I have it feels really good. :D
  7. Go and do it. You'll regret it if you don't.

Why did your family change their mind? If it's based on misconceptions, you'll be able to put them straight as you go on. If it's an emotional reaction, then it's unlikely to be amenable to info/argument, but your approach (and one hopes enthusiasm) will gradually carry the day. They'll come round, and in the long run you need to be true to yourself.
  8. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Go for it and Good Luck
  9. Like Nike says, "Just Do It".

Get in, pass, send your family an invite to your pass-off parade.

You should probably generate a single-minded desire to pass.
  10. It's purely an emotional reaction, The mother is scared that im going to be seriously hurt or killed. Me having the news on everyday when Panthers Claw was going down probably didn't help like. I honestly don't care about my own personal safety anymore I just want to do it. I just want to **** everything off and go right now. I just wish they'd have a little faith in me and what I want to do.
  11. Security guard or Paratrooper?

Mucker get down to the ACIO.
  12. Go for it now mate, wish i did when i was 19.
  13. Im working in security now and believe me I dont want to do this for the rest of my life.

I want to be a lean, mean, ear necklace making machine. :salut:

**** it im going down there tomorrow and im not saying nothing until I get date.
  14. Go for it mate, and dont look back !
  15. That's exactly what I did, the first my family knew I had joined was an invitation to my passing out parade. (I'd been working away from home in Winchester at the time I enlisted, it helped the deception a bit)