serious question....please answer nicely

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bitty, Jan 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. right, i need to send a letter to a Squadron Sergeant Major (he's a Warrant Officer 2 SSM), how do i refer to him? is it Dear WO2 Bliar? or is it Squadron Sergeant Major Bliar? any help much appreciated and i hope you army types like the subtle political satire.

2. You address him in the top left as WO2(SSM), and at the start of the letter, simply Sir - assuming you are junior to him

3. daz

daz LE

One word, GOD.

that should do it :thumleft:

4. Bitty, please clarify your status, are you a civilian or serving in some capacity?

5. Depends on the type of letter you are writing and who you are, as in senior or junior in terms of rank.

6. thought the RSM was god

7. daz

daz LE

No, thats GOD, SIR :thumleft:

8. Just make sure that you use a ruler as a guide.................otherwise he wont understand!

9. Don't write a letter, just go and see him in person and tell him how you feel. He'll respect you for it.

10. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

What the Fkuc makes you think that Blair could survive up to WO2. Surely an RSM would have sorted hm by now.
    TB

11. sorry, should have clarified. i'm a civilian (well, soon-to-be police officer but you know what i mean), so would i call him sir, mr or his rank?

12. Call him by his rank - WO2(SSM)

13. Doesnt it depend on the context, type of letter (formal/semi-formal ect) and the rank of the sender?

Try JSP 101 - that should have the answer. If you actually work for a living, the people with shiny arses who sit in offices may also be able to assist.

Ratcatcher

14. "Walter" Bitty?

15. Bitty,

Dear Mr .....,

Would be wholly appropriate as Mr is the correct form for the address of a Warrant Officer (or Subaltern) and is quite a suitable form for a civilian to use.

uqfegd

pp