serious question....please answer nicely

right, i need to send a letter to a Squadron Sergeant Major (he's a Warrant Officer 2 SSM), how do i refer to him? is it Dear WO2 Bliar? or is it Squadron Sergeant Major Bliar? any help much appreciated and i hope you army types like the subtle political satire.

You address him in the top left as WO2(SSM), and at the start of the letter, simply Sir - assuming you are junior to him

bitty said:
right, i need to send a letter to a Squadron Sergeant Major (he's a Warrant Officer 2 SSM), how do i refer to him? is it Dear WO2 Bliar? or is it Squadron Sergeant Major Bliar? any help much appreciated and i hope you army types like the subtle political satire.
One word, GOD.

that should do it :thumleft:

bitty said:
Bitty, please clarify your status, are you a civilian or serving in some capacity?

Depends on the type of letter you are writing and who you are, as in senior or junior in terms of rank.

daz said:
bitty said:
One word, GOD.

that should do it :thumleft:
thought the RSM was god

No, thats GOD, SIR :thumleft:

B

Biscuits_AB

Don't write a letter, just go and see him in person and tell him how you feel. He'll respect you for it.

What the Fkuc makes you think that Blair could survive up to WO2. Surely an RSM would have sorted hm by now.
TB

sorry, should have clarified. i'm a civilian (well, soon-to-be police officer but you know what i mean), so would i call him sir, mr or his rank?

Doesnt it depend on the context, type of letter (formal/semi-formal ect) and the rank of the sender?

Try JSP 101 - that should have the answer. If you actually work for a living, the people with shiny arses who sit in offices may also be able to assist.

Ratcatcher

Bitty,

Dear Mr .....,

Would be wholly appropriate as Mr is the correct form for the address of a Warrant Officer (or Subaltern) and is quite a suitable form for a civilian to use.

uqfegd

pp

Surely if you don't know the bloke and you are a civvy then the correct address in the letter is:

WO2(SSM) Smith

Dear Sir,

Text of letter.

Yours faithfully,

Bitty

But for Christ's sake make sure there's no dust anywhere about the letter........

Civilian ettiquette applies as if you were writing to member of any other organisation. If you know him or have spoken to him previously then the salutation should be Mr Bliar, otherwise Dear Sir. Don't forget to use the correct valediction depending on your choice...

bitty said:
that sounds perfect. if i get it wrong, what's the worst he can do? answers on a postcard please.
Not talk to you? How much do you care?

Latest Threads