Serious Question - Needing Help

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rocketeer, Apr 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm sure the vast ARRSE community has an answer.

    Mother-in-Law died last week.. no regrets: 87 - she had a good life.. As a result, though, Father-in-Law has opened up with reminiscences and recollections, among which are tales of his 'daring-do' in WWII.

    Royal Corps of Signals - Burma... I'm trying to get some of it down on paper...

    He has his medals but never got ribbons or miniatures.. So questions:
    1] need contact for reputable dealers/etc. in UK that will supply such stuff to Canada
    2] Does he qualify for any other HM Govt. medals issued for/to WWII vets since cessation of hostilities? and where does he apply.

    He has:
    39-45 Star
    Burma Star
    British Defense Medal
    British War Medal

    Thanks in advance to the great Arrse collective for any assistance.
  2. the_boy_syrup

    the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

  3. Good links posted by tbs. Having two relatives who are Burma veterans I do not think that any relevant additional postwar medal has been issued, but your father-in-law is entitled to the Veterans Badge mentioned in one of those links.

    There are a number of reputable dealers who would be able to supply a set of miniature medals, mounted in the correct order, from the details which you mentioned, e.g. Worcestershire Medal Service Ltd.

    Good luck!
  4. Most likely his WWII issue is correct if all his service was in Burma. You need to know all his dates and movements if any other theatre might qualify. e.g. something like the Pacific Star provided he meets the requirement.

    Should you find that is the case, there would be a Pacific bar to add to the Burma ribbon, or vice versa if the Pacific Star was awarded. People who qualify for both Stars are only given one plus a bar for the other.

  5. Try
    They seem to do the lot.
  6. You could try googling medal mounting. Dont know if the guy is still there, but the tailor at Petawawa in Ontario had al of the wartime ribbons and mounted my Dads for me. Fleabay may be the cheaper option if you are just after the ribbons.

    Miniatures are a private purchase, but most are available for about c$15 each.