Serious Question--How Accurate is the TV Series "The Crown?"

Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere but SWMBO is well and truly hooked on this series and I was curious as to how much license has been taken historically for the sake of the drama?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere but SWMBO is well and truly hooked on this series and I was curious as to how much license has been taken historically for the sake of the drama?
Thread title answer "very".

HMTQ watches it, apparently, with little criticism. Sure, some of it will have some licence, and some of it may have been over-dramatized, but in essence, it's on the money, I understand.

I too was hooked on it, and watched them all. In general, I abhor sitting in front of the TV, but this was excellent.

As was Deutschland 83.

Forgot to add. There's one subplot with the Duke of Windsor. I surely hope that's over-dramatized, it's awful. Rest of it rather good.

Tommy Lascelles seems to have the ability to say "Go fcuk yourself" without actually saying it :)

Forgot to add. There's one subplot with the Duke of Windsor. I surely hope that's over-dramatized, it's awful. Rest of it rather good.

Tommy Lascelles seems to have the ability to say "Go fcuk yourself" without actually saying it :)
Many thanks!

If it was me I would play a little prank and tell the wife that Prince Edward was a consultant for the series.......uncredited as members of the Firm do not seek media publicity.

TBH I had never even heard of the series and just looked it up.

If it was me I would play a little prank and tell the wife that Prince Edward was a consultant for the series.......uncredited as members of the Firm do not seek media publicity.
My dear fellow, I use the term SWMBO quite purposely after nearly a half century of wedded .....(searching for the right word) erm, well, bliss. Along the way I learned about the inadvisability of pranking her. ;-)

My dear fellow, I use the term SWMBO quite purposely after nearly a half century of wedded .....(searching for the right word) erm, well, bliss. Along the way I learned about the inadvisability of pranking her. ;-)
Likewise after nearly 40 years.

But, I think I have found the secret: It is to mention a little lie in a queit, sort of absent minded way whilst reading, or doing something else. Then when she replies asking for confirmation you sort of distractedly "hmmmmmm"? as if you have not heard her or did not even say anything.

Works every time. ;) Shhhh, quiet now, change the subject she is on her way.

But, I think I have found the secret: It is to mention a little lie in a queit, sort of absent minded way whilst reading, or doing something else. Then when she replies asking for confirmation you sort of distractedly "hmmmmmm"? as if you have not heard her or did not even say anything.

Excellent. I may try it. If I no longer appear on ARRSE you will know it did not sit well. ;-)

Balls.

You went away for a few years and came back. How do we know it's not the same gig?

Or perhaps you did indeed die, went to hell and regrouped :)
Shhhhh (tapping index finger against the nose)

Season 3 begins on 17th November with an all new cast apparently. Different actors playing the parts of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh. I did watch the first two seasons and enjoyed them very much. Although a very good actor, I wasn't too sure about John Lithgow playing Winston Churchill. It felt like there was something missing.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
The series does somethings really well, such as highlighting now obscure or forgotten events that were amplified at the time. Good examples of this were the London smog and Lord Altrincham’s criticism of the Queen.

Some (very few, but still prominent) things are just utter drama with little basis in historical truth. Such as the episode with JFK, that saw HMQ waltzing with the Ghanaian premier in an effort to out-glamour Jacquie and thereby exert international soft power. Naturally, it was widely panned by critics. Another episode that drew fire, was about Prince Charles’ schooling st Gordonstoun. Apparently it is the one episode that upset the Queen (who apparently is a fan of the show) because of its portrayal of Prince Phillip as a bullying and uncaring father.

I think that generally it gets an awful lot spot on, even if it does overdo the drama of the moment. But then it is TV, and it is for a modern (and international) audience. Hence the sometimes clunky dialogue that sees someone’s entire CV announced i.e. “You were at Eton, Sandhurst, commissioned into the Guards ...” etc.

For all that, I enjoyed every minute of it and I barely bother to watch TV these days.

The series does somethings really well, such as highlighting now obscure or forgotten events that were amplified at the time. Good examples of this were the London smog and Lord Altrincham’s criticism of the Queen.

Some (very few, but still prominent) things are just utter drama with little basis in historical truth. Such as the episode with JFK, that saw HMQ waltzing with the Ghanaian premier in an effort to out-glamour Jacquie and thereby exert international soft power. Naturally, it was widely panned by critics. Another episode that drew fire, was about Prince Charles’ schooling st Gordonstoun. Apparently it is the one episode that upset the Queen (who apparently is a fan of the show) because of its portrayal of Prince Phillip as a bullying and uncaring father.

I think that generally it gets an awful lot spot on, even if it does overdo the drama of the moment. But then it is TV, and it is for a modern (and international) audience. Hence the sometimes clunky dialogue that sees someone’s entire CV announced i.e. “You were at Eton, Sandhurst, commissioned into the Guards ...” etc.

For all that, I enjoyed every minute of it and I barely bother to watch TV these days.
Very helpful. Thanks.

Sonic67

War Hero
Scroll down to "Artistic License - History."

Scroll down to "Artistic License - History."

Many thanks!

May I inject a few well chosen words of comfort here, reading the above posts from my fellow long term webbed up, and totally institutionalised bill payers, I to have to not so much suffer, more a toleration, of all things serialised on the television, by my life time mate of 41 years, I have found through trial and error that there are three phrases that will relive the pressure that is inherent when interrupting her, when those bloody soaps, polldark, and anything to do with the monarchy is shown they are, in no particular order: "Yes dear"
" No dear"
" Of course dear"
You will find that any other utterance is superfluous, and can provoke a sudden burst of very un-lady like language, followed by household articles coming towards you at warp factor 3. (And that boys and girls is why men have sheds.)

Latest Threads