Serious Question -Dengue Fever

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Bandalong, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if wrong forum, but what are the symptoms of Dengue at early stage (if any).

Can Dengue symptoms’ cross over into a diagnosis of 'Typhus'?

Genuine question.

2. My wife contracted dengue fever [probably from a sandfly bite whilst visiting a beach in Johore Bahru] when stationed in Singapore in 1968. The early symptoms were the same as Infuenza. General malaise, temperature, fever, and serious aches and pains in the bones. This is how I remember it from a layman's perspective. I believe it was also called break-bone fever. Took a long time to recover.

3. Yep Flu like symptoms, blood tests provide the diagnosis

4. Sudden onset, fever for 2-7 days, intense headache, nausea, vomiting and general myalga.

Spread by the aegypti mosquito, and not the sandfly as exile suggests. Incubation 3-14 days.

Typhus is generally spread by the louse, so you should be able to distinguish which of the two has had a go. Again, similar symptoms without (generally) the nausea. Typhus generally lasts longer and although you get a rash with both, the Typhus rash will be more apparant after a week of infection, usually on the main trunk then spreading to the rest of the torso

5. Thanks all.

Turns out to be Dengue.

Poor kid was like a ragdoll, but safe and sound in hospital now.

6. I was wondering where I'd left my Communicable Disease in Man book!?! Obviously you've found it buried under a layer of dust in the ISO!! :)

7. That was all from memory I'll have you know :D (ps, it couldnt have been yours as it doesnt smell of pish)

8. Watch it or you'll be wearing yer ferkin' Jaffa cakes!! Congrats on the Bog cleaners award by the way! Who have you been giving 'special' favours to then? :)

9. The list is long and unfortunatly not very distinguished :wink: