[Serious] Parliament Wants ARRSE

Discussion in 'House of Commons' started by Bad CO, May 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We've been approached by the Houses of Parliament Digital Engagement team who are looking at ways to get a number of websites/forums involved with what the Defence Select Committee does. It would appear that is something that the Treasury Committee does with MoneySavingExpert.com for instance.

The question is whether anyone has any suggestions as to how this could work and/or whether it is a good idea? Also what sort of things should be brought to their attention.

Let's keep this thread serious, I'll start a NAAFI bar one in a moment ........

Added 16:28 8 May 13

Just had the following clarification

2. I think the levels of moderation would need to increase quite a bit and that could ruin the site for many.

The NAAFI would probably need to be put in a closed off area of the site with warnings all over it.

• Like Like x 7
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

A sensible view, and one that probably formalises what has been going on for a while.

I suggest a separate forum, carefully moderated, that the HCDC could use to ask questions, etc.

There are stuill many gems of well informed comment, and sensible opinion, on tihs site, hidden though they often are in the dross and drivel of some posters - but that's the Internet all over.

• Like Like x 16
  4. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

As we all know, the vast majority of users on this site are ex-serving, and those that are serving are likely to be relatively senior (i.e. able to use office / IT to post during breaks at work etc).

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but I reckon the heart of change should be orchestrated by those who it is most likely to effect - i.e. the younger / next generation of Armed Forces / TA / Reservists.

Based on that I feel the work involved will far outweigh any benefit.

Jeez, I feel like a right old party pooper now. On a positive note, is there any financial incentive? (In which case, I think it's a fantastic idea, boss - allow me to throw my hat into the ring...) :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Might want to provide details to MOD's of proof of Military Service, so that any opinions can state % or servicing, served, civilian, or other civilian nationalities. So that interests be varied and not by trolls

6. The money-saving expert does actually contain expert advice, but open forums here are populated largely by people who aren't by any stretch of the imagination 'expert'. Having a closed area where those possessing relevant skills can be engaged by the department concerned, and a parallel area in open fora where opinion can be canvassed from the great unwashed might be more practical.

If it's just an exercise for the Defence Select Committee to be seen to engage then it makes no difference what you do, as it'll just be a PR exercise. There'll be tears before bedtime with whatever you do I imagine.

• Like Like x 7
  7. According to the Defence Select Committee's own home page they:

The Defence Committee is appointed by the House of Commons to examine the expenditure, administration, and policy of the Ministry of Defence and its associated public bodies.

Surely listening to the shop floor, especialy those on Ops is the very least they should be doing. However even the sensible pages on Arrse are probably not where they should be!

Now I'm off to the NAAFI to say what I realy think.

• Like Like x 2
  8. I concur - military humour is not understood by many. The levels, too, of non-military (or, like myself, non-BRITISH military) members could somewhat skew any discussions. Perhaps the opposite to closing the NAAFI off - having a secure discussion area for bona fide serving and ex BritFor members to be able to update, but read-only for all other members of ARRSE?

Perhaps a(n) RSS feed like the MoD's?

*** Ideas already put up bu other posters... slow typing ***

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I think that's not a bad idea. There's precedent of course with the hidden, invitation only BAFF forum that was set up here when the groundwork was being done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Does this mean we'll be bombarded (even more than usual) with pointless bland 'chef-cooks-on-tour' RRS feeds?

Also, will ARRSE be expected to toe the party line?

11. Would this count as Political? Am I right in thinking the forces aren't allowed to get political while serving?

12. I come on to ARRSE because I like the humour and the culture (sic) and find some of the serious postings interesting, I would not like the site to be suddenly bound up in red tape and rules because we are somehow connected to the establishment. They know where we are and can dip in and out any time they want, but by the existing rules.

13. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

I'm with OldSnowy on the probable need for a separate, carefully moderated forum but don't think that will effect the rest of the site too much.

For those who think the site is mainly read by old farts, then have a look at our stats on quantcast. It would appear that the younger generation is here in force although perhaps they don't post much.

14. Even a carefuly moderated seperate forum would cause problems by the amount of non carefuly moderated posts it would generate in the NAAFI.

15. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

The majority of users are on £50K+ and the majority of users are 18-24...?

Damn that Army recruiting vid circa 1989-1990

Don't stop me now, indeed.

• Like Like x 2