Serious Illness

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by WhiteHorse, Nov 24, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. What is the Army view on illnesses like leukaemia? Do you have to quit? At what point do you have to inform the CO etc? When you are being tested or do you wait for the results to be confirmed?

2. Having just been through a similar event "twice" - I can resolutely say the Medical Services will do all in their power to help you.

My Unit at the time was also extremely supportive.

3. If you are diagnosed by a Civvie Doctor, he will not inform your unit, you will have to. However if you don't you leave yourself open to a world of shiit from the powers that be for not informing them. If it is serious, you may have to be Y-listed, taken off all duties and tours etc.

better to tell the powers that be

4. Totally agree - as for the treatment - AMS = Fantastic - oh can I say it again = Fantastic

5. Its about the only time we can say AMS and fantastic together in the same sentence :roll:

6. For GB :twisted:

7. If they can keep you on they will.

I did a tour in Bosnia last year as a reservist - the proportion of the reservists with some sort of current or recent serious complaint was astonishing, but the support was there. Good luck and soldier on.

8. True but totally dependent on the type of leukaemia you have and the treatment regime you may have to undertake.

9. Tertiary Care will normally be provided by your local NHS provider. However if you are serving then the care will be dictated by the resources available. Case notes will be sent to your clinical team and an informed decision with you will be made on how best to proceed.

For those that are cynical and reading this – money (the value of life) in my experience does not come into play.

I wish you all the best and very firmly believe you will get excellent treatment whilst with the AMS – AND the NHS

10. I second that

11. I'm not sure if Bunny quite understands what is involved with the treatment of Leukaemia. Whilst receiving Chemotherapy for this type of Cancer you actually become neutropaenic. This basically means you have no immune system and have to remain isolated to stop you (and your line ) getting infections or you will die cos you can't fight them. Oh those pecky neutrophils!!!!!!!!! What I mean to say is i'm afraid the MO can't handle this one. It's NHS all the way.

I've finished my treatment for AML ( Acute Myeloid Leukaemia ) and it took me a year to finish all my courses of chemo. My immune system was a bit slack and refused to come back half the time!!!! If it has turned out to be serious the my sympathies go out to you but it's not the end of the world. You need to look up the Cancer BACUP site. It's full of info about whichever type you have. It'll also go through the different treatments including Bone Marrow transplant which is a different kettle of fish all together.

Long story short, you will still be able to return to work but the word is eventually. As i already said my treatment took a year and i finished in July. But i still get extremely knackered all the time. With time and effort you can get back up to a level of fitness but some treatments mean people can be on Disability benefits for at least two years because of the fatigue etc. I'm hoping to go back to work after christmas, but not full time yet. I can still sleep for england !!!

It would be great to hear if all turned out well or if you're stuck inside somewhere reading this.

Gimme a reply
    Cheers xox ;o)