Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious and Organised Crime in the UK. Anyone read the NAO report?

@LeoRoverman

As I bitterly say, "You've only got a drugs problem when you've got a drugs squad".

Nice to know it works for HM C&E also.

kalliste

Clanker
I wonder what the Arrse Consultancy Service response is to these challenges? (and please no suggestions of mounting GPMGs on the White Cliffs above Dover)
So you don't want a solution then? Anyway, miniguns with those weird Russian radar sights.

The fact is the banks wouldn't work without the money laundering. Government is a criminal enterprise, the British econony would crash and burn without the money laundering.

If you were genuinely trying to fix things then self evidently the first thing you would do is secure the borders and the exact opposite is the name of the game.

Last edited:
Action Fraud got an absolute shoeing in a Radio 4 documentary last year. This laid bare the true extent of financial crime - crime which gets left off the official figures as it's so rife.

Amongst, others, the documentary detailed the attempts of a young guy to enlist AF's help after his credit card details got stolen.

He reported various purchases to his card holder, who basically then turned around and accused him of having spent the money himself and then to weasel his way out of paying.

He went to AF and got nothing.

He eventually went to the various stores on Oxford Street where the spending spree had taken place. He was eventually able to elicit a description from one of them of the miscreant, and tie up across the various other stores that it was the same person (and not him).

The impression was that AF is pretty damn useless, if I'm honest. Yet it's supposed to be our vanguard organisation.
I find that absolutely horrendous, yet sadly so true.
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, the Drug Trafficking Offences Act 1986 came into effect that year.
In those pre woke years, Customs was able to set up a drugs money laundering branch, staff and train it, with me as one of the most sproggy members.
Within a year or my first guvnor was running a joint job with the American DEA , Op C Chase, which resulted in President Noriega being taken out, together with the BCCI bank.
It was a massive eye opener for me, but above all showed what could be done with switched on troops backed to the hilt by well experienced managers.

Ahem, we had that before you. :cool: I always find it funny when the police descend to customs matters..... but you knew that:mrgreen:
Morale was certainly boosted when a certain female Chairman of the Board of Customs stated that the activities of Alpha were an infringement of civil liberties.
Stupid bitch.

I find that absolutely horrendous, yet sadly so true.
At the risk of sounding like an old fart, the Drug Trafficking Offences Act 1986 came into effect that year.
In those pre woke years, Customs was able to set up a drugs money laundering branch, staff and train it, with me as one of the most sproggy members.
Within a year or my first guvnor was running a joint job with the American DEA , Op C Chase, which resulted in President Noriega being taken out, together with the BCCI bank.
It was a massive eye opener for me, but above all showed what could be done with switched on troops backed to the hilt by well experienced managers.
Oh BCCI I do remember them. You had an advantage over me and probably the other staff on the cash teams in later years in that we were having to learn from scratch, with a management that was paying lip service. Perhaps you remember the discussions pre soca of having an equivalent to DEA or ATF teams. But as @Boumer points out when LE has to set up dedicated teams Asan admission to a problem, the setting up is seen as the question answered, subsequent funding and direct are other problems on the Horizon imho

Oh BCCI I do remember them. You had an advantage over me and probably the other staff on the cash teams in later years in that we were having to learn from scratch, with a management that was paying lip service. Perhaps you remember the discussions pre soca of having an equivalent to DEA or ATF teams. But as @Boumer points out when LE has to set up dedicated teams Asan admission to a problem, the setting up is seen as the question answered, subsequent funding and direct are other problems on the Horizon imho

A case in point

Met Police human trafficking unt - stood up and down, that worked well. But, DC's and capability are a scarce resource

Look at Wiltshire, figures up and down as squads form.

A case in point

Met Police human trafficking unt - stood up and down, that worked well. But, DC's and capability are a scarce resource

Look at Wiltshire, figures up and down as squads form.

I've come to the conclusion that if Customs, Immigration and Police just did their jobs and followed leads to the inevitable conclusions, rather than having silo teams each fighting for existence they'd be of more use. Nothing in crime does not have ramifications, The ripples I am talking about turn up in the oddest places for the oddest reasons and that's certainly evident in the counties cross borders issue. However they can't all be brought to book immediately in many cases. The biggest problem we face and perhaps the hardest come off ( as an addiction) is the targeting by management. There's a reason for that. The Big gangs know what we know, they have more money they also know what to avoid.

You mean she & others of her mind set NEED to be shot in the head !!
In the sense that I am no longer part of that set up, I could say yes. On the other hand if I were diplomatic I would say I couldn't possibly comment. The plain fact is that we have been bereft of the necessary leadership simply because there is no political will to rock the boat. So we can laugh at anyone one who says LE is Apolitical. It's probably one of the most political there is.

Latest Threads