Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious and Organised Crime in the UK. Anyone read the NAO report?

He resigned and left for the private sector after a year or so, advising me never to even think about it.

It goes all the way back to SOCA and beyond.
Non-detectives trying to do a detectives job.
The staff turnover rate must be horrendous, they are always after qualified investigators (A background in investigating Organised Crime would be beneficial apparently) all for the princely sum of £16 an hour before tax.

Anyone with half a brain and marketable skills is already in the private sector working with other former colleagues, and enjoying themselves.

There is a very good reason why the vast majority of the rest of the world involved in countering international and organised crime recruit from within their own existing law-enforcement agencies.
And not from their Civil Service.

@harrythebastard

Quite why the atrocious T&C are not viewed as a corruption threat is beyond me.

When they exhaust the pool of retired cops willing to work to top up the pension, they'll be in trouble.

It goes all the way back to SOCA and beyond.
Non-detectives trying to do a detectives job.
The staff turnover rate must be horrendous, they are always after qualified investigators (A background in investigating Organised Crime would be beneficial apparently) all for the princely sum of £16 an hour before tax.

Anyone with half a brain and marketable skills is already in the private sector working with other former colleagues, and enjoying themselves.

There is a very good reason why the vast majority of the rest of the world involved in countering international and organised crime recruit from within their own existing law-enforcement agencies.
And not from their Civil Service.
£16 per hour? No wonder they are finding it difficult to get staff. A quarter ounce of waccy baccy sells for more.

£16 per hour? No wonder they are finding it difficult to get staff. A quarter ounce of waccy baccy sells for more.

Depends where you get it from.

I can get you cheaper and much more reliable off some onion hosted sites I know.

Alarmingly easy, good customer feedback and few worries about getting ripped off or caught up in violence.

Why anyone bothers to buy off the street is beyond me.

Whilst the French did very well in their strike on Encrochat, the most recent bold boasts I saw out of Europol or NCA about the "end of dark net markets" struck me as being written 'by marketing rather than operations or engineering' (if I can put it politely).

Indeed, I chuckle at one manual for sale I saw going on a reputable DNM expalining how to use the dark net safely to buy drugs. I chuckle because I do hate to see a consultancy opportuinity lost.

(**Obviously, for the lawyers; do not do crime. Don't even break the law in limited and specific ways**)

Poppy

LE
"..............

I think the two main directorates of the NCA are Investigations and Intelligence. Maybe those two directorates should be separated into two different agencies, with the ROCUs - being police officers - combining to take national responsibility for the law enforcement functions and leaving the NCA with a purely intelligence gathering role aimed at OCGs, perhaps in a similar way to the Security Service regarding counter-terrorism."

you mean like when it was NCIS and NCS :)

you mean like when it was NCIS and NCS :)

From what I've heard the Dutch police and law enforcement agencies are some of the best in Europe.
If so, it doesn't extend to small regional police forces. A few years ago, the 2 ic detective bod here topped himself after killing a business colleague on his premises . . . a very, very large cannabis farm. It turned out they were implicated in all sorts of other bother too, and there had been 'questions' but no action taken.

Every few months members of various identifiable social-groups (not exclusively foreign) are dismissed the police force for providing intelligence to those social-groups. Often, they have been paid to enter the police in the first place. Punishment is terrifying though, maybe as much as six months in prison, followed by a nice pay-off the next year for not blabbing.

I was a Customs investigator for more years than I care to mention: on an hourly rate, according to an advert in the Standard back in the early @90's, you got more as a cocktail barperson in Covent Garden.
We reassured ourselves with the knowledge they didn't drive home in a BMW...well the SIO did, rest of us were in Astra's, Cavaliers and Sierra's...

Simple way to fix it though. Ask Rishi Sunak to tax it. Even prostitutes pay taxes. Why not drug dealers etc?
Mornin' that was Juncker's point. Slight problem- one can't tax crime-solution legalise it. Counter argument do that-watch the arse fall out of society. Oh It has, and no one changed the law- all they did was ignore it. Ask no questions, tell no lies-withdraw resources and laws can't be enforced, then no one can lie that they they enforce the law only the law they're told to enforce.

Your average Customs EO on allowances got less than that, until the hallowed year 2005, when it was revealed that the IR were getting 10K a year more for the same grade, if not the same work. Simple answer was we worked for the treasury and spent money- nuff said.

Shirley spending big and preventing organised crime is cheaper than trying to cut back departments working to stop it, eventually we will only have the credibility of Nigeria if we dont get tough...very tough , eventually foreign investment will slowly disappear, the UK needs to be a very unattractive place to set up organised crime .

Shirley spending big and preventing organised crime is cheaper than trying to cut back departments working to stop it, eventually we will only have the credibility of Nigeria if we dont get tough...very tough , eventually foreign investment will slowly disappear, the UK needs to be a very unattractive place to set up organised crime .
A lot of foreign investment is because the spending isn't there. That Russian and Chinese money isn't going to launder itself you know.

This should come as no surprise. In 2016, the Home Affairs Select Committee concluded that the London property market was the primary avenue for the laundering of £100bn of illicit money a year. The investigative journalist Roberto Saviano has said of the international drugs trade: “Mexico is its heart and London is its head.”

London: the money laundering capital of the world

Yokel

LE
How can we be sure that dirty money is not part of foreign funding for infrastructure projects? How much influence does that buy? Is the loan really that cheap?

Surely all this organised crime competes unfairly with legitimate mail bars, takeaways, car washing businesses and so on?

One of the most interesting things in that interesting Russia report that no one bothered to read was that it was made clear how embedded Russian money was into the city and 'the Establishment'

Discussing the release of the Russia report, I drew attention to their conclusions.

• Russian interreference is the new normal – money and Oligarchs are now embedded into the UK elite and throughout our politics
  • There is an ecosystem of either willing or unwitting enablers (lawyers, accountants and estate agents) who are de facto agents of the Russian state.
  • This is now at an irreversible level
And interestingly, I did note -

The committee states that since 1994 the Russian elite have been welcome in the UK – “The UK welcomed Russian money, and few questions – if any – were asked about the provenance of this considerable wealth”.

The committee states that his is now the new normal, and “this cannot be untangled and the priority now must be to mitigate the risk and ensure that, where hostile activity is uncovered, the tools exist to tackle it at source”.

There is a specific allegation at para 54 that a number of members of the House of Lords have business or other financial interests that should lead to concern, and even a “Foreign Agents Registration Act”.

One of the most interesting things in that interesting Russia report that no one bothered to read was that it was made clear how embedded Russian money was into the city and 'the Establishment'

Discussing the release of the Russia report, I drew attention to their conclusions.

• Russian interreference is the new normal – money and Oligarchs are now embedded into the UK elite and throughout our politics
  • There is an ecosystem of either willing or unwitting enablers (lawyers, accountants and estate agents) who are de facto agents of the Russian state.
  • This is now at an irreversible level
And interestingly, I did note -

How to hide a Rhinoceros in the room: media and political interest was in Russian influence in the Brexit referendum - whereas the rest of the report drifted past unnoticed.

How to hide a Rhinoceros in the room: media and political interest was in Russian influence in the Brexit referendum - whereas the rest of the report drifted past unnoticed.

Well even that made no sense.

"There is no evidence of Russian interference"

Erm, the report said no one looked because it was too awkward.

"Yeah, and there's no evidence of Russian interference"

Still who cares. Tribes are happy or happily unhappy (as they have something to shout about) and a few are getting rich.

As it was, as it shall be, world without end,

IT's an old old problem, but if anyone's interested there was a book called "The duty men" by Peter Gillman, sort of link to the Knock program on telly. There's quite an interesting chapter of things like Long Firm and Short firm fraud. Simple fact is that Governments want money- they don't care how and they don't much want to be found out by the electorate, hence there was a time when money was never talked about. There was a reason for that!!
Now by regulating the supposed flow of money by regulation- you find a way of avoiding it. That's why the city is important. Ask no questions, don't get caught. That's why Blair got rid of Customs and Excise and why the SFO, and the other financial organisations are run by ex Bankers. That's why they fail under the "eyes" watchful gaze- because they're meant to.

Latest Threads