Sergeants bravery is recognised

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Oct 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Royal Military Police officer from Bristol has been commended for his bravery and initiative in the aftermath of a Lynx helicopter crash.

More Here
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well done McDonald. Seems like he did a good job.
  3. Full respect to him for being in Basra, especially down at the OSB, but I fail to see that he did anything other than his job. The light infantry lads down there are in firefights almost daily and they're lucky to get a thankyou from the OC. Is it just me, or are these things political more than anything?
  4. A Royal Military Police officer from Bristol has been commended for his
    bravery and initiative in the aftermath of a Lynx helicopter crash.

Sergeant Ian McDonald, 33, was one of the first at the scene of the incident in
    Basra, Iraq.

All five crew members died in the crash which took place in May 2006.

BBC Read More
  5. Well done.
    Always good to see troops behaving as they should in a tragic situation.
  6. Excellent job - finest traditions etc. Did someone brief the journo - Sgt headlined as 'officer' rather than Senior Non Commissioned Officer? Maybe his officers need all the puff they can get
  7. Just amazed that anyone in RMP management actually recognised the efforts of an OR.
  8. Well done Ian,
    Great to see him doing well, he last got GOC LONDIST commendation for jumping into the Thames river (high tied) to save a pissed SIB female in Mess dress. He jumped in, grabbed her (while she was unconscious) then swam her to the bank. Oddly enough I don’t believe she said thanks to him afterwards.
  9. Sounds like a great night out.

However well done that man!
  10. Well done !
  11. I started this thread, Why am I called Drone_Pilot ??????
  12. RFUK,

By that standard no infantryman should ever recieve any recognistion either, as they can also be stated to be just doing their job, yet somehow, one of them was awarded a VC. (Which just to make clear I feel he did deserve).

Why do I get the feeling that if it was a member of the infantry you would be pleased for them, but as this chap happens to be a monkey his award is somehow not appropriate? Double standards I think.

Well done to him.
  13. Nothing to do with his arm of service so far as I am concerned. My point was a SNCO being consistently described as "officer" suggested to me that PM(A) press officer was larging it up to suggest a Corps officer had actually achieved something worth while at last.
  14. Did he give her one while she was out for the count? if not why not!!
  15. the chances are that the press refer to him as an officer in the same way as they refer to most rozzers as police officers, when the rozzer could be a constable or a sergeant or indeed higher, hence military..pause two..three.. police officer