Sergeant recruiting for Marines in Fahrenheit 9/11 is killed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by india-juliet, Jun 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A RECRUITER for the US Marine Corps who was portrayed by Michael Moore’s antiwar film Fahrenheit 9/11 as deliberately targeting young men in poor neighbourhoods has been killed in Iraq.

Staff Sergeant Raymond Plouhar, 30, died on Monday after his vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb in Anbar province. His family said that the Marine had hated the antiwar rhetoric of the film.

In the documentary the Marine explains his strategy for approaching potential recruits. “It’s better to get them when they’re ones and twos and work on them that way,” he says. “Right now there is somebody out there who wants to be a Marine but has no idea how to do it.”

Before the car-park scene Moore’s voiceover suggests that the Marines cynically target poorer neighbourhoods. “They decided not to go to the wealthier Genesee Valley mall in the suburbs,” the film-maker says. “They have a hard time recruiting young people there.” Raymond Plouhar Sr said that his son had only 38 days left in Iraq.

2. RIP Marine.
  3. RIP. How many more?
  4. Tragic. RIP, fella
  5. I think his death seems to be in tune with his vocation and he would not want "mourning". A few beers then for Staff Plouhar, a mental nod of the head each year on Nov 11, as for all our comrades who go before us. Semper fi...
  6. Marines dont die, they regroup in Hell, Semper FI...
  7. Indeed they do...I like the USMC, they have a much more British attitude to war-fighting than their colleagues in the USA. Staff Plouhar showed amazing restraint in that film. Condolences to his folk.
  8. RIP marine
  9. RIP.
  10. I'll have a beer in the NAAFI for them all tonight!

11. AS ever, my thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends at this awful time

RIP mate