Sergeant Majors

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by no1cares, Aug 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In my opinion, I think we could do without them in the army..........

2. Yes we could, but who would take their place. I hear Gods got his hands full with the Middle East these days..........

3. I think the troop staffy can handle a troop of misfits with nowt to do.

4. Are you a Scaley?

5. Whats a scaley?

6. Trog then?

7. You've lost me biscuits. X

8. Reaching for the big book of pedantry .......

If talking about them in the plural, it should be Sergeants Major.

It's only Sergeant Majors when it's a possesive term, and thus should have an apostrophe either before or after the final "s", dependant on the quantity of Sergeants Major.

To answer the question, yes we need them.

9. So, this is a correct english sentence - "Look at the four Sergeants Major over there".

?

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

FB - well said, time this was sorted! I am glad that you stipulated that it was the quantity rather than quality of said Sergeants Major.

This has been covered previously under the Do we need RSMs thread (not called that but can't be arrsed looking for link).

My reply then was, if the post was done away with COs would be re- inventing it again within hours.

11. Leave WO2's alone......cos its my next rank.....and anything goes wrong you point to him and say....."See the Sgt Major!"....great get out clause! :wink:

12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

No - pay attention - the correct sentence would be "Look at the four barstewards over there"

BTW you live up to your username dontya :lol:

13. No, it should be "Avoid the four Sergeants Major over there." If you haven't got enough work that you've time to look at Sergeants Major....

14. Do we have a Troop Sergeant Major? I thought they were Staffies. :?

15. Is this an English Lesson?