Septics want Frocks on the front line?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rincewind, Oct 27, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If a female soldier is as well trained, efficient and as fit as a male soldier, and doesn't require/request 'special' treatment, no problem.
  2. was not suggesting they were incapable, just interested in your thoughts.

Women in the RN are already on the "front line" when Ships enter combat ops.

so not a new concept really.

3. I think a lot of it comes down to the Israeli experience in the 70's and early eighties. I also think western society has moved on a whole stage or two on it's dealings with 'wimmin' so that the Israeli experience would not occur again.

To be honest, I'm more interested in what the 'wimmin' themselves think
  4. check out the Israeli Defence Force, women tank commanders :D
  5. I think, personally, that the populace wont stand for it the minute the press starts sending pics around of fems in bodybags. we all know what journo's are like for inciting upset against the armed services....they would have a field day.

7. Agree with comment that the media will decide whether women in combat is acceptable.

Recent Sky News survey demonstrated that the parents of our recruting pool were even unhappy about their sons joining the army. Let alone their daughters.

Potential for the beheading of a woman in Iraq (Margaret Hassan) may forestall any talk of women in combat.
  8. good point

9. There was a danish female tank troop leader in Bosnia whose idea of reasonable force during a contact was for her and her troop to return fire with 50+ rounds. Slight overkill 8O and not much left of the field where the trench had been :roll:

She must have had the painters in :lol:
  10. hahahahahaha.

good stuff.

11. I believe in equal rights and being a female myself, I think women should be able to fight for our country too, providing they were trained to the same standards as the men. One argument against women being on the front line, is that a lot of men I know have admitted that they'd probably look out for the women more than the other blokes, so causing a problem, for example, if they had to choose between a male and a female in a life/death situation... Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

13. well I would be against it for a few reasons.

1. Physical capability (in most cases)
    2. The cost of providing seperate facilities etc
    3. The effect a few females would have on a platoon of lads (this is my biggest problem with it, the other two are just me being sceptical)

maybe they could have an all womens battalion who could stag on at the bases to let the other units do patrols etc?
  14. Until the female fitness and stamina levels are the same as males (without lowering the level for all) then I have to question their suitability.

1. There are only body bags for second place, the strongest survive. There are very few women capable of defeating a man in hand to hand fighting etc. Remember female infantry would be expected to overcome and kill enemy men.
    2. In my Experience women suffer more from fatigue over longer durations, and become less effective quicker.
    3. Sexual diversion, men are distracted by women(and visa-versa) anybody who ignores this is talking bollocks, I've seen it happen at all levels and in ALL messes. A relationship (or one night stand ) leads to all sorts of problems and even fragmentation of an organisation. Esp when under additional stresses ie combat.
    4. POW. Does anyone remember what happened to the US Female officer captured in GW1? If I recall the poor woman was raped 40+ times in a day! Its one thing being mistreated, but throughout history women have always come off worst when captured. How would you feel if one of your section was raped by the enemy in front of you?

Don't get me wrong, everyone who wants one, has a place within the Armed Forces, just not in all roles.