Septics Sights - Shooting with God

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RhodieBKK, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's one that will play well in the Muslim world.

ABC is reporting that soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan have been using rifle scopes that bear coded references to Bible verses, including lines like "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

That verse is rendered on tiny letters on the the scopes, made by Wixom, Michigan-based Trijicon, as "2COR4:6" referring to chapter 4, verse 6 of the Second Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians.

ABC News Report

While it's not clear exactly how many of the scopes are in use, there are Pentagon images on the Internet (for example here) with the Trijicon scopes being used in Iraq and Afghanistan. Chris Rodda, a researcher at the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, the group that is the source for ABC's story, tells TPM that federal contracts suggest the military has bought scores of thousands of the scopes for Iraq and Afghanistan. The foundation advocates for religious freedom and separation of church and state in the military.

ABC reports that Trijicon "has a $660 million multi-year contract to provide up to 800,000 sights to the Marine Corps, and additional contracts to provide sights to the U.S. Army."

The company is not shy about its belief system. It confirmed to ABC that its scopes have the Biblical codes. Trijicon's Web site even says under a section titled "Values" that, "We believe that America is great when its people are good. This goodness has been based on biblical standards throughout our history and we will strive to follow those morals."

Rodda also notes that the Biblical messages on the Trijicon scopes has been known for some time, pointing to Web gun forum threads on the topic posted as early as 2006.

This is hardly the first time the Pentagon has come under fire for using religious messages in the course of conducting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. GQ reported last May on Donald Rumsfeld's presidential briefing folders that were peppered with Biblical quotes ("Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him...To deliver their soul from death.") printed on images of war.

Trijicon, for its part, dismissed the charges as coming from a group that is "not Christian," according to ABC.

In an interview with TPM, Military Religious Freedom Foundation president Mikey Weinstein called that "a garbage and mean-spirited and un-American reply," noting that most of his group's clients are Christian service members.

2. Hmmm. If it's true, yuck, if it's bollocks, well then, it's bollocks!

3. Sorry - the CO's filter corrected my sentiment. Borrocks, the lot of it.

4. Meh......

5. Who cares............................................................

6. In isolation it matters little, but illustrative of a mindset within the US military.
    Following on from the distribution of bibles printed in Pushtu out of Bagram last year,
    this is just another step in the evangalising of and proseletysing by US forces for some of whom these wars have become a crusade.

In wars where muslim hearts & minds have to be won over - it cannot be helped by religious polarisation and christian fundementalism.
    Obviously not a problem for UK Forces, but something that may need to be factored in when taking over areas of responsibility from US Forces.

[​IMG]
    At the end of the serial number on Trijicon's ACOG gun sight, you can read "JN8:12", a reference to... Expand
    At the end of the serial number on Trijicon's ACOG gun sight, you can read "JN8:12", a reference to the New Testament book of John, Chapter 8, Verse 12, which reads: "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." The ACOG is widely used by the U.S. military.

[​IMG]
    In August of 2005 Trijicon was awarded a $660 million dollar, multi-year contract to provide up to 800,000 of its Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (ACOG) to the U.S. Marine Corps. According to Trijicon, the ACOG is "designed to function in bright light, low light or no light conditions," and is "ideal for combat due to its high degree of discrimination, even among multiple moving targets." At the end of the scope's model number, you can read "JN8:12", which is a reference to the New Testament book of John, Chapter 8, Verse 12, which reads: "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (King James Version)

7. Those Bibles were never in fact distributed, but confiscated by the US Command.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/05/bibles-destroye.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/20/us.military.bibles.burned/index.html

Amazing how rumours continue about that incident.

8. Just when you think you've heard it all, you get more proof that truth is stranger than fiction. Sort of keeps you going, doesn't it?

9. Yes it might be true . But then I remember the truth about the aircraft that flew on 9/11 as well.

1. Open up a blank Word document.

2. Type in Q33 NY in capitals (this is the flight number of the 1st plane to hit the WTC)

3. Highlight it.

4. Change the font size to 48.

5. Change the actual font to wingdings (1).

Oh that must have been true then.

Tin foil hats all on --- NOW.

10. I thought of that, then I read the story again - the company admits they include Biblical references in the serial numbers. I'm with Bulletcatcher, some days you see stuff that is just plain weird.

C_C

11. Remember being on Ops and an American CO SF was talking about his boys doing Gods work...... He was so serious it scared the hell out of me

12. I would agree it is bizarre to say the least.
    A company under a $660m military contract whom you would have thought had to comply with military law,
    unilatirally inscribing scopes with christian chapter & verse.

More Christian Scope Pix

I suppose it could to some degree be analagous to inscribing messages on bombs.
    But weird nonetheless.

13. I can see this causing problems as the separation of church and state is enshrined in US law.

You just know someone is going to bring that up in the US.

14. So what if it is true-it is not really different from the time-honored practice of soldiers naming their weapons and writing messages on projectiles etc.