Septics are going nuts

On Project Syndicate The Maddening of America
A massive statistical study, conducted from 2001 to 2003 by the US National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), estimated the lifetime prevalence of major depression among American adults (ages 18-54) at more than 16%. Lifetime prevalence for schizophrenia was estimated at 1.7%. There is no known cure for these chronic diseases; after onset (often before the age of 18), they are likely to last until the end of the patient’s life.

Surveys among US college students estimated that 20% fit criteria for depression and anxiety in 2010, and that nearly 25% fit these criteria in 2012. Other studies have consistently shown rising rates of prevalence with each successive generation, and it is argued that, if older statistics were faulty, they erred on the side of underestimating the spread of mental illness.

All of this suggests that as many as 20% of American adults may be severely mentally ill. In view of disputes over the significance of available data, let’s assume that only 10% of American adults are severely mentally ill. As these conditions are presumed to be distributed uniformly within the population, they must afflict a significant share of policymakers, corporate executives, educators, and military personnel of all ranks, recurrently rendering them psychotic, delusional, and deprived of sound judgment.

If it is deemed sensationalist to characterize this situation as terrifying, one may add that a much larger share of the population (estimated at close to 50% in the NIMH study) is affected by less severe forms of mental disease that only occasionally disturb their functionality.

Comparative epidemiologists have repeatedly noticed something remarkable about these illnesses: only Western countries (or, more precisely, societies with monotheistic traditions) – particularly prosperous Western countries – are subject to prevalence rates of this magnitude. Southeast Asian countries appear to be especially immune to the bane of severe mental illness; in other regions, poverty, or lack of development, seems to offer a protective barrier.

As I argue in my recent book Mind, Modernity, Madness, the reason for high concentrations of severe mental illness in the developed West lies in the very nature of Western societies. The “virus” of depression and schizophrenia, including their milder forms, is cultural in origin: the embarrassment of choices that these societies offer in terms of self-definition and personal identity leaves many of their members disoriented and adrift.

The US offers the widest scope for personal self-definition; it also leads the world in judgment-impairing disease. Unless the growing prevalence of serious psychopathology is taken seriously and addressed effectively, it is likely to become the only indicator of American leadership. The rise of China is unrelated to this.
I'm highly skeptical about this though times are hard and American colleagues do seem anxious to bugging out at times.

The typical resident of Germania puts in a lazy working year filled with vacations, sick days, vocational training, short working days and much vigorous sporting leisure while most Septics are working ever longer days.

They often do this under the scrutiny of some multply-divorced micro-managing harridan while the Kraut reports to a laid back but precise Herr Dr. who will scold him for inefficiency if he can't do his job in the set woking time with it's mandated coffee and lunch breaks. Last project I was on ran out of California and everybody in the Bear State seemed to be running on a couple of hours sleep a night and a long list of happy pills. This clearly wasn't sustainable even the Asians were losing their fixed grins and was becoming something close to display masochism at senior management levels.

If things go badly and Joe Boxhead gets sacked, if he can be sacked many of the older ones still practically have tenure, he'll just fall back on their very comfortable social system until he lands another cushy job. In the land of the free jobs are much more scarce on getting the boot the family loses its healthcare is probably in debt already and a desperate job search follows. Often all is well after a little groveling but there's a constant itchy fear that's debilitating. And here I'm talking about folk well up the corporate food chain. The epidemic of anxiety disorders may be a genuine fallout from Lehman and the Septic response which has been to raise productivity levels even further. At some point you'll start breaking people.

Septic Shrinks over diagnosing mental illness and the over prescription of powerful drugs aimed at mental illness are probably playing a role. These days they often rotate through four patients an hour just doling out pills. It used to be about one an hour but they simply make much more money that way. Kids I'd regard as entirely normal if slightly spoiled lazy brats are increasingly being expensively medicated. Old folk are routinely doped to simplify their care. Drugs that are active on the brain are often ladened with side affects that show up down the line. Many perform little better than placebos if you look at the clinical data.

I'm highly skeptical about this though times are hard and American colleagues do seem anxious to bugging out at times.

The typical resident of Germania puts in a lazy working year filled with vacations, sick days, vocational training, short working days and much vigorous sporting leisure while most Septics are working ever longer days.

They often do this under the scrutiny of some multply-divorced micro-managing harridan while the Kraut reports to a laid back but precise Herr Dr. who will scold him for inefficiency if he can't do his job in the set woking time with it's mandated coffee and lunch breaks. Last project I was on ran out of California and everybody in the Bear State seemed to be running on a couple of hours sleep a night and a long list of happy pills. This clearly wasn't sustainable even the Asians were losing their fixed grins and was becoming something close to display masochism at senior management levels.

If things go badly and Joe Boxhead gets sacked, if he can be sacked many of the older ones still practically have tenure, he'll just fall back on their very comfortable social system until he lands another cushy job. In the land of the free jobs are much more scarce on getting the boot the family loses its healthcare is probably in debt already and a desperate job search follows. Often all is well after a little groveling but there's a constant itchy fear that's debilitating. And here I'm talking about folk well up the corporate food chain. The epidemic of anxiety disorders may be a genuine fallout from Lehman and the Septic response which has been to raise productivity levels even further. At some point you'll start breaking people.

Septic Shrinks over diagnosing mental illness and the over prescription of powerful drugs aimed at mental illness are probably playing a role. These days they often rotate through four patients an hour just doling out pills. It used to be about one an hour but they simply make much more money that way. Kids I'd regard as entirely normal if slightly spoiled lazy brats are increasingly being expensively medicated. Old folk are routinely doped to simplify their care. Drugs that are active on the brain are often ladened with side affects that show up down the line. Many perform little better than placebos if you look at the clinical data.
I suspect if the latter day Roman Empire in its decline had been studied in similar fashion the results would be the same.

We are increasingly a "society" comprised of a majority of "takers" from the "system" through government redistribution of wealth taken virtually (and sometimes literally) at the point of a gun through the taxing power from those who produce wealth in programs that incentivize laziness and sloth.

Morbid obesity, idleness, preoccupation with "fluff," (most know all the details of such vital things and important people as American Idol, Duck Dynasty, JayZ and Kim Kardashian) and a rapidly disappearing knowledge of any of our founding principles or the critical importance of the Judeo-Christian values that shaped our founders' lives and thought, much less the actual provisions of, our Constitution.

What shit are you spouting now ? There were very few jews in USA in the 18th century, and even after independence many jews were denied the vote and the right to even run for election. Because they were jews.
The 18th Century has sent a runner with a message in a cleft stick asking you to return their opinions.

What ?

Delaware, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Georgia only removed restrictions on jews voting around 1800, Rhode Island 1842, North Carolina 1868, and New Hampshire 1877. Facts.
Are you on crack or do you just think I didn't understand your post?

JJH's point is that not enough people have an imaginary friend they talk to on a regular basis anymore, not that Jews were a major part of US history.

What ?

Delaware, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Georgia only removed restrictions on jews voting around 1800, Rhode Island 1842, North Carolina 1868, and New Hampshire 1877. Facts.

The jewish population was in the hundreds around the time of independence - there was probably a bigger Buddhist population for fucks sake.

And yet jarhead is telling us about the[/COLOR][/FONT]

Dicks.
Calm down kike.

What ?

The jewish population was in the hundreds around the time of independence - there was probably a bigger Buddhist population for fucks sake.

And yet jarhead is telling us about the[/COLOR][/FONT]

Dicks.
be a good idea for you to Google judeo Christian before you make yourself look even more ludicrous.

Morbid obesity, idleness, preoccupation with "fluff," (most know all the details of such vital things and important people as American Idol, Duck Dynasty, JayZ and Kim Kardashian) and a rapidly disappearing knowledge of any of our founding principles or the critical importance of the Judeo-Christian values that shaped our founders' lives and thought, much less the actual provisions of, our Constitution.
I do think its faith that keeps a lot of Septics optimistically cracking on. It's far better for the soul getting a bit Churchie with your fellow man than being doped up by a venal head doctor. It can appear mad from Heathen Yurp but it's probably the sanest thing the USA has going for it.

The Founders vary some were probably less Godly than the average often fanatical foot soldier of the revolutionary war, but they were all informed by enlightenment values based in Christian and Classical traditions. The key actors may have been more united by a very English love of gardening than anything but you can't really understand them without those references. The constitution is a product of a very sane group of men squabbling about often irreconcilable differences between states that varied from puritan theocracies to something more like the modern US in love with the flesh and Mammon.

Judeo-Christianity is a strain of religious/ethical philosophy and doesn't necessarily need any practising Jews to exist in a society. It just means it's drawn from the teachings of Judaism and early Christianity - which the Christian side of the modern US clearly is.

The respective rates of mental illness in mono- and poly-theistic societies isn't necessarily conclusive, IMO. Polytheism is most prevalent in developing and underdeveloped economies where people have a much greater degree of certainty in their lives, even if that certainty is pretty bleak. The average livelihood is also pretty physical which has a proven preventative effect on depression.

For my money, lack of stability in modern highly-intense post-industrial societies plays a much larger part in creating a constant sense of nagging anxiety. People stand a far smaller chance of starving to death but a far higher chance of losing what they've worked for, at short notice and often with little or no warning.

They often do this under the scrutiny of some multply-divorced micro-managing harridan while the Kraut reports to a laid back but precise Herr Dr. who will scold him for inefficiency if he can't do his job in the set woking time with it's mandated coffee and lunch breaks.

If things go badly and Joe Boxhead gets sacked, if he can be sacked many of the older ones still practically have tenure, he'll just fall back on their very comfortable social system until he lands another cushy job. .
Your information on life in Germany is a little dated. Nowadays time limited contracts, Zeitarbeit and no nationwide minimum wage are the norm. There are lots of people in full time employment who are getting less than those on welfare, with the State kicking in to make up the difference. As I and a few hundred others here in JHQ have just been laid off, this knowledge comes from personal experience or that of my (former)colleages.

I'd actually argue Jay-Z is a poster boy of the American dream. Born in poverty and dragged himself up to become a multi millionaire, regardless of whether or not you like his music or politics.

I'd say the OP's analysis isn't far wrong as far as the US side is concerned, though I'm going on reports from friends rather than from personal experience.

The idea that time spent with arse (sorry, ass) on chair equates to productivity and value for the employer does seem to be widespread. While Germany has become less cushy in recent years, and while many Germans do complain of stress -- many of them rightly -- the situation there is still miles better for those who are in what we would probably label "good" jobs.

And this has nothing to do with the other problem to which JJH alludes, of the lazy scrounging off the industrious, or the State creaming off more tax than he and some others would like. We're talking here about ridiculous conditions in what should be normal jobs, conditions that in no way improve a company's bottom line. The responsibility lies both with managers who demand this sort of nuttiness and with employees who give these managers even more nuttiness than they're demanding.

People near the top of the food chain suffer more in the US than they do in Europe, generally speaking. But the situations converge when you look at those around the bottom. Way back in the 1980s, Günter Wallraff described the inhuman conditions that many Turkish Gastarbeiter faced in Ganz Unten ("Lowest of the low"), and I suspect that investigative journalists could still come up with similar stories -- in Germany, in the US ... and in the UK.

Lets go back to scratch:

jarhead said

I called crap, and support my argument with:

a) 49 of the 55 founding fathers were Protestant. Non were jewish. If you were going to characterise their values then Protestant would be correct.

b)

That's more than 50 years after the founding fathers signed the declaration of independence.

c) And from the same wiki link:

Which part of my post don't you agree with ?
Dummy.

Well, the problem with the US is that it's so big I'm not sure you can generalise - but I do recognise some of the symptoms from working with and visiting the cousins.

The most obvious area to someone from over here is the lack of health care. Minimum wage job without health cover, any serious illness is a death sentence. With the added joy of being pursued to the grave by debt collectors with cries of "you should have worked harder to pay for your care" ringing in your ears from a bunch of utter bastards who claim to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ but would, should he return, condemn said individual as a "liberal faggot". I mean, you couldn't make "Breaking Bad" in the UK, you'd get 20 minutes in and his GP would refer him to a consultant.

I also note that seemingly every time we get a mass shooting we also get some fairly strong background that the nutter concerned was a genuine nutter. Untreated usually of course, and personally I feel that's a far larger driver of mass shootings than the availability of guns.

Then there's the abandonment of old school capitalism. Henry Ford, amongst other things, made a point of paying his workers as much as he could afford. He knew that the one thing a manufacturer of goods for a mass domestic market needed was, funnily enough, a mass domestic market. Now we have a race to the bottom, stuff has to be cheap but as wages fall in real terms people buy less.

The "war on drugs" is another good one, it has failed, continues to fail and makes an awful lot of drug dealers very rich. It embeds hypocrisy into the fabric of society - just like it does over here.

And finally we come to the continued drive - again regrettably shared by us - to turn the US into the kind of surveillance state the Soviet Union wished it could be. Added to some really, really dumb foreign policy decisions that means the biggest source of subversion is the news.

No idea about the Germans mind, never been there.

While Germany has become less cushy in recent years, and while many Germans do complain of stress -- many of them rightly -- the situation there is still miles better for those who are in what we would probably label "good" jobs.
As you rightly point out, things in Germany have changed considerably in recent times. Zeitarbiet (Defined short contracts) and Leiharbeiter (Agency workers) made up something like 67% of new workers taken on in 2012. This insecurity is fairly unknown in German post-war employment culture, so tensions and resentment are running high.

On the other hand, employers are being almost ritually slaughtered by the increasing burden on not just ridiculous levels of overbearing bureaucracy, but eye-watering social and tax contributions. It is a brave SME employer that takes on a new member of staff on anything other than a short term defined contract.

On the other other hand even tenured jobs such as Beamter (Civil servant or official) posts are experiencing rapid contraction of their T&C of employment and are actually beginning to strike, which is relatively unheard of. New Beamten are being recruited on considerably worse T&C than their predecessors. A Polizeikommissar (Police Sergeant) after 10 years service, can expect to receive about €1800 (£1500) net per month before shift allowances.

Things are not at all rosy in Der Vaterland; the headline statistics are grossly misleading.