Septic war dogs.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, May 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. II agree except for this: " (The war dogs deployed to Vietnam during that conflict were classified as "surplus equipment" and left behind.)"

In point of fact they were not merely "left behind" but were wantonly killed in spite of their tremendous contributions and sacrifices. It is a shameful chapter in our military history and another result of misinformation about dogs--the assumption was they could not re-adapt to life in the US and also may be carrying diseases--neither of which were true.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

The link is not working for me. Is this a story about how the dogs of war from Zangaro fared in later life?

3. A really good find. Thanks for sharing.

4. A good read. I didn't know that the yanks deployed dogs to Vietnam either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJH who did the actual killing of the US dogs in Vietnam? The handlers or was such a task carried out by 'others'?

6. My missus says that there was a film made about a dog that was decorated during the Vietnam War. I've had a shufty on Google and found the following.

Rain (2003) - IMDb

Might be worth a look?

7. You'd have to be a proper jack **** to ask a dog handler to shoot his own dog!

8. I saw a documentary, on 'Yesterday Channel' recently on the use of dogs in the Pacific war by the USMC, it covered the story from the start to the finish of the war.

The dogs were donated by families for the duration, trained and served in the island hopping campagn, they were remarkably effective, to the extent that dogs and handlers became prime targets.

At the end of the war those dogs that survived, were 'detrained' and returned to the donating families with great sucess.

Slightly off thread back in the eighties I was told that dogs came in three types;
    Trackers
    Guard dogs, and
    Wardogs who were simply let loose in an enclosed compound and would attack anything that entered the area, the psychopath nutters of the canine world of security.

9. This post reminded me of this guy:

[​IMG]

When my unit was disbanded we had to do a lot of spring cleaning. I was one of the guys that found this dog in one of the closets in the hallway of the unit hall. I hadn't thought about it really until today to see whatever happened to it. I'm glad to see that it was donated to a museum.

Here's a brief history on the dog:

10. Or there's this. Which is also about an intelligent mongoloid

Rain Man (1988) - IMDb

11. Pops up on ch5 every so often.

12. Here's a war dog related item,the original Rin Tin Tin the doggy star of film TV and radio, was a rescued German wardog, brought back to America after WWI.