Septic Walt Outed in France

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by uncle_vanya, Jul 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Daily Mail'

Howard Manoian was a local hero in the Normandy village that he had retired to - feted for his tales of sacrifice in liberating France from the Nazis.

The American was happy to tell how he was wounded in action twice after parachuting into nearby Sainte-Mère-Eglise on D-Day in the fierce battle later depicted in John Wayne's film The Longest Day.

Numerous admirers heard how he was shot in the hand and legs by a German machine gun during a fire fight and then again by a Messerschmitt which strafed the field hospital where he was recovering.

But now the 84-year-old is unlikely to be showing his face again soon in the regular veteran's bar, The Stop, where for the moment photographs of him in military uniform still adorn the walls.

Research into U.S. military archives has revealed the less than illustrious truth of his war record.
    His unit was not the fabled 82nd Airborne Division, but the 33rd Chemical Decontamination Company.

Attached Files:

2. hmmm this looks surorisingly familiar, may have anohter 84 year old walt for you boys, claims he was a commando, in second world war, was with the marines but was in army, a coalition unit, the guy says he was in the original commando unit, but I have only ever seen him in yorks reg gear, strange for a londoner, any one know the score on these guys?? He does fit the walt make up, he went from job to job after war, and has regular memory loss, what do we do

3. Sounds to me like he didn't fit the walt mould...there was such a thing as "Army Commandos" in WW2, trained by Marines among other people, drawn from regular regiments wearing the green beret and often retaining their regimental badge on it, they all went under the heading of "Combined Ops"....try to get the history right before pointing the finger....

The Prime Minister in 1940, Winston Churchill wished to create a fighting force of elite troops capable of fighting both in front and behind the enemy‘s lines. The Army Commandos were formed of volunteers from every regiment and corps of the British Army. They performed their tasks so successfully and with such dash and courage as is shown by the decorations awarded by their King. Eight won the Victoria Cross, 37 the Distinguished Service Order, 162 the Military Cross, 32 the Distinguished Conduct Medal and 218 Military Medals as well as many Bars. But only the most fortunate and outstanding won those distinctions chosen from a host, whose bravery and devotion was not less marked by being unrewarded. The men who organised the Commandos were content with nothing short of perfection, the Commando was a picked volunteer selected by the officers who trained him and led him into battle.
  4. one of my posts lost, but as you know your history, got a para who claim he was taken prisoner during 1940, 400 of them, marched 400 miles and kept as pow for the war, never heard of it, but he has medals nad memorabilia, so please let me know if to your knowledge this is true, thankyou

5. Think........

1.This is not the place or the time

2. He may well have been captured at Dunkirk and then things moved on from there, he may not have been a para at the time....

I have an aquaintance at my local working men's club who is in his 90's, ex-"Them" and still as sharp as a razor, cut off in Italy for God know's how long and it's all verifiable...tell you what, you go looking for what you want on google, i'll let this get back on thread, but a word of warning, don't go shouting "Walt" at anything you don't understand...
  6. Probably quite true.

My Grandfather was captured in North Africa. Treated as wounded in Italy then marched to Silesia in Poland along with thousands of other POW's. I have his accounts and lots of other accounts. It wasn't unusual I've found in my research to march hundreds of miles as a POW.
  7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

google and wiki are your friend.

Para Reg weren't formed until 1940 and didn't deploy until 1941. More here - yes it's wiki, no wiki isn't the most historically accurate place to quote from, yes it's a start.
  8. Talking of Army Commando's, I recently saw a bunch of Gurkha's in a M-way services with RE flashes and Army Commando shoulder titles.

I'd say let the poor old bloke alone, he obviously fought in WW2 and although he was caught 'bigging himself up' , who here can say that they have never stretched the truth to get a pint or just to get that warm fuzzy feeling you get when people want to hear your tales.

Enough of this 'Walting' frenzy!!
  9. Hmm. A Para who was a POW in 1940?

Parachute Regiment not formed until 1941?
  10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

And this is related to Walting?
  11. Aye, it does reach a frenzy, it the ptsd kicking in, I just see walts everywhere, even called the woman in shop a walt for not having rothmans fags, called her a cigarette walt, gunna get the old boy well pissed tomorrow, an hear his stories, could be a laugh, we must stick to the bigger walts me thinks, the cadet force people, the shortts and the likes, from now on, any one over 80 can walt without fear in my book, let them walt away.

But in all seriousness, maybe we should stop outing walts then, but do we need to out them to protect ourselves, what do you think my man.
  12. From what I understand, Members of the 1/505th PIR 82nd Airborne Div. have for several years been questioning this mans credibility.

D-Day paratrooper David Bullington, 88, of Dyesburg, Tenn., whose name appears in the 82nd’s official records, said he only met Manoian years after the war and Manoian told him three different versions of where he landed.

“You don’t land in three different places in one jump and walk away,” Bullington said. Noting that he lost a lot of friends that day, Bullington added, “I don’t like to see someone claiming to be a paratrooper to grab a little bit of glory for doing what real paratroopers did in Ste. Mere-Eglise. It’s a slap in the face.”

In numerous interviews - even when challenged by the Herald this week - Manoian has said he was shot and hit in both legs by shrapnel June 17, 1944, while searching a house. But records show he was evacuated to England that day after fracturing his middle finger, returning to duty only in November 1944 - precluding his claim of a combat jump in Holland on Sept. 17, 1944.